Monday, August 01, 2022

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

 by Philip Yancey and Dr. Paul Brand

Libby audiobook 6:34 hours

Read by: Don Reed

Published: 1980 (this version 2008)

Genre: Non-fiction, Christianity, anatomy


I really enjoyed this book a lot and thought about buying my own copy! It was a bit confusing at times to know what was Yancey's part in writing it. Most of it is told from Dr. Brand's perspective . . . but perhaps I missed something. I did  go back and re-listen to the Foreword to try to understand what each of the men brought to the book. A print version would probably help!


Each section and chapter dealt with part of the human body and made an analogy with the body of Christ. There were fantastic story illustrations, mostly from Dr. Brand's years of working as a surgeon with lepers. What an incredible life he led.


The section on bone was really impactful. It's like that firm foundation we need our lives to be built upon. The chapters on skin and touch were also super impactful. Some of the gender / race stuff was a bit outdated, but his message came through well. The importance of touch is truly powerful. 


This book is definitely worth a re-read. The analogies were well thought-out and meaningful. I think I'll get a print copy if I decide to read it again. Reed's vocal work was great, but it was hard for me to discern when it was Dr. Brand's words and when Yancey was "speaking" through the text.

No comments: