Friday, December 24, 2021

The Paris Key

by Juliet Blackwell

Libby audiobook 10 hours

read by Xe Sands

Published: 2015

Genre: realistic fiction

 

Positives: Blackwell writes stories that draw you in. 

The switching from Genevieve in modern day times, when she was 14, and her mother Angela's storyline in 1983 was not confusing. 

There were many interesting characters and I especially liked the changes in Genevieve's cousin Catherine.

I loved the locksmithing part of the story and the abundant metaphors it provided.

I loved the foodie aspect of Paris . . . shopping every day to enjoy fresh baguettes and in-season fruits and vegetables.

 

Drawbacks: I think I would have enjoyed reading this in print more than listening to the audiobook, even though Sands did a lovely job. There are places I would have made notes and blogged about.

I also disliked the broken marriages . . . which made Dave's and Pascal's story all the better!

I couldn't stand that Genevieve's husband called her Jeannie because it was "too hard" to pronounce her name correctly! What?!

 

Blackwell is a talented author. I liked Letters From Paris a bit better, but found it amusing that both stories featured an American woman from the South relocating to Paris to work and learn secrets . . .



No comments: