Tuesday, September 07, 2021

Quicken WillMaker & Trust 2021 (book and software kit)

 I haven't read the entire book, but I really like this! Here are some of my takeaways:


  • Letter to Survivors - "When working on your estate plan, you may find that you want to explain certain things to your loved ones. . . . Or maybe you simply want to leave some thoughts about your life."
  • Making Your Own Will - "As a way to decide who gets your property, the will has been around in substantially the same form for about 500 years. For the first 450 years, self-help was the rule and lawyer assistance the exception. When this country was founded, and even during the Civil War, it was highly unusual for a person to hire a lawyer to formally set out what should be done with his or her property. However, the legal profession has since convinced many people that writing a will without a lawyer is like doing your own brain surgery." (This actually made me laugh out loud.)
  • Joint Wills - This was eye-opening! "In the past, it was common for a married couple who had an agreed-upon scheme for how to distribute all their property to write one document together: a joint will. But time has shown that setup to be crawling with problems." (I remember my mom and dad having a joint will.This software helps you write a will and then create an identical will for the spouse.)
  • Explain the reasons for leaving your property. I love that the software has all the possibilities and how-tos laid out so clearly.

 

I did a sample will for me but didn't talk it through with Louie. I'm not sure if I'll purchase the book and software or just stick with what I generated. I really want to return this to the library, but I also want our wills done!

No comments: