Monday, June 28, 2021

The Promised Land

by Elizabeth Musser

(Book 3 in the Swan series?)

Carver County Library hardcover large print 515 pages

Genre: Christian realistic fiction

Published: 2020


It's such a delight to get a book club title so that I can read it before book club! (We meet tonight 6/28/21.) I don't ordinarily like reading large print books, but it's better than going to discussion without having read the title. From the back cover: "When her husband of twenty years announces that he's leaving her, Abbie Jowett feels an overwhelming loss. Desperate to mend her marriage and herself, she follows her son Bobby to France to walk the famed Camino de Santiago pilgrimage."


At first, I didn't enjoy the book at all. I don't like broken marriages, I didn't like Abbie's overbearing personality, and I didn't initially connect with Bobby, Caroline, or anyone else. But I'm glad I kept reading!


I wrote down this quotation from chapter four, but am not entirely sure which character said it. "Yes, grief is so odd. It catches me at times when I expect the least of it." Grief can be odd indeed. It's weird how I'll have a thought or memory of my mom or dad and just start crying. And it's been more than a few years now!


Chapter 5 included this blurb about spiritual disciplines:

"Spiritual disciplines are all about making room for God. In our fast-paced life, it is often easier to push God into a tight schedule with the rest of our day rather than take time to truly hear Him."

This was told to Abbie by Diana, a spiritual advisor. Sometimes my practicing spiritual disciplines becomes closer to me checking items off my to-do list and less about drawing near to God. This caught my attention.


In chapter 7, I started to appreciate Abbie's life story and perspective. She is looking through a scrapbook and remembering tragedies and difficult life events. 

"I would have to figure out how to protect everyone I loved. . . . Maybe that was when I went from an ordinary perfectionist to a control freak, hypervigilant and fearful. . . . How perfectly ironic that what drove him away was me trying so hard to make sure he never left."

This was powerful, her realizing how and why her personality changed. I like to empathize with the protagonist. This chapter helped me appreciate her more.


In chapter 8, Abbie is again visiting with Diana. 

"I felt most useful in a group when I could help others come up with a plan. . . . Now I just drive everyone crazy with my planning and my control." 

It's interesting how one's strengths can also mirror one's weaknesses! 


In chapter 10, Bobby is taking on the burdens of his parents and grandparents. They don't *want* him to shoulder their issues, but he is concerned and feels as though he needs to rescue them.

"When I click off the phone, I feel the cloak covering me, smothering me with worry. I feel old. Not just like an 'old soul,' Mom and Dad's description of me, but old like all the fun and adventure and cool stuff I hoped to experience has been ripped right out of my sketch pad, wadded up, and discarded."


In chapter 11, after Bobby has spent time with Jean-Paul, who has lost the use of his hands, he realizes the blessings he enjoys. There are definitely times for us to be grateful for our many, many blessings - especially the ones we can take for granted!

"Then I pause a moment, cradling the phone in my left palm and gazing at my hands. Young hands that work - no tremor, no arthritis, no fear. And I bow my head and think, Thanks, God, for my hands."


Chapter 12 brings an observation by Abbie.

"But Miss Abigail wouldn't have called it ridiculous. She called 'coincidences' like these winks from a God who loves to remind us of His presence."

This made me think of the book Godwinks! I may need to buy a copy of that . . . 


In chapter 13, Caro is tempted to fall off the wagon as a way to cope with stress. The language that Musser used to describe this is so evocative.

"I am tempted to go to the cave and pull out three good bottles of wine and chug them down one after another until the hot sparks of hate are extinguished by the deep burgundy liquid that will kill my soul."

I like drinking wine, but have known people who struggle with alcoholism. It seems that this description is apt.


In chapter 19, Caro is reflecting on the perilous mountain situation. I love that Caro and Abbie connected. I love that Caro had her sister-in-law Tracie as a support in staying sober. I love her growth as a character in this story, though the story line with Bastien felt a bit overdone.

"But you'll be happy to hear that some things are beginning to get through my thick head. Like helping Rasa. It felt, I don't know, it felt really good. And natural. Like maybe some of the junk in my life can help me know how to help others. If that makes sense."


Chapter 21 is where I cried. And cried. Abbie's willingness to let go of those she loves most. Wow. Great book! Makes me want to read the rest of The Swan House Series.


I look forward to discussing this book with other readers.



No comments: