Monday, February 22, 2021

When Stars Are Scattered

by Victoria Jamieson and Omar Mohamed

Scott County Library hardcover 257 pages

Published: 2020

Genre: non-fiction, graphic memoir



I read a review for this book and am *so* glad I got it from the library. What an amazing story! I cried numerous times. I'm incredibly thankful for Omar Mohamed sharing his story. Leaving the violence in Somalia, he and his brother ended up in a refugee camp in Kenya without their parents. The story is told through their childhood and is both beautiful and painful. I wept more than once. Jamieson's talent helps his story shine.


Page 52 (in chapter 4) When he finally attends school in the refugee camp, he observes, 

 

"But even though it's loud, and crowded, and hot . . . I love it. It's like . . . my brain was starving, and now it's getting the food it needs." 


Sometimes as a teacher, I've gotten frustrated with students who don't care about learning. That thirst for knowledge seems to be stronger in some kids than others. I think most American kids don't realize how incredibly privileged they are to have access to schooling. I'm glad I still love to learn!


Page 56 - After he has gotten much busier with chores, school, and caring for his brother, Omar makes a powerful observation! 


"I started noticing that when I'd fetch water before school I'd see some of my classmates there too . . . but only the girls. When I went for walks with Hassan after school, I'd see other kids watching their siblings too . . . but only the girls. Besides Nimo and Maryam, none of the other girls in my block even went to school - they stayed home to do chores.    .   .   .   After a few weeks of doing all the chores, taking care of Hassan, and going to school, I realized how exhausted Nimo and Maryam and the other girls must be. 'How do they do it?!'"

 

Page 111 - I just loved this book so much.

 

"We may be refugees and orphans, but we are not alone. God has given us the gift of love."

 

Now I know he is Muslim and some Christians might reject his perspective because of that. But God is the God of all. And Omar's story is his story and experience. And I love that he prayed, and hoped, and praised God for blessings even in a really awful situation. 

 

Page  208 - This was a pivotal point in his story. We wonder at young people who are bitter, angry, and violent, but fail to see how *years* of disappointment, hunger, struggle, pain, and fear can change a person. When Omar fears that he won't get a second interview with the U.N. about leaving the refugee camp, he is despondent and angry. His best friend's outburst helped Omar come to a realization.


Jeri: "I'm trying to make you feel better! I'm your friend! That's more than I can say for you! I haven't even had one interview yet, and you don't even care!"

Omar's thoughts: "I was spreading the darkness around me, infecting everyone in my path."

 

The way that is worded is so perfect. People who are in a really dark place often don't realize how that darkness can spread. 

 

Page 254 - Finally toward the end of the book, we learn what "Hooyo" means. I love how this unfolded. I love this story. I am putting this on my wish list because I want to own this book. Wow wow wow.

 

"In a refugee camp, you are always reminded of the things you have lost. It is a valiant and agonizing struggle to focus not on what you have lost . . . but on what you have been given. Many years ago, we lost our mother. But maybe she is not gone. She is in the love that surrounds us and the people who care for us."

 

I love that there were photographs and authors' notes at the end of the book. So good!

 

 







No comments: