Tuesday, February 09, 2021

Almost American Girl: an Illustrated Memoir

 by Robin Ha

Scott County Library paperback 228 pages

Published: 2020

Genre: graphic non-fiction memoir


Wow! I read a review of this somewhere and am so glad I got it from the library. Besides the fact that I love her style, this is an important story. Reading her author's note at the end gave me chills. She writes about moving to Alabama from South Korea at age fourteen. What a huge change in her life! She does a beautiful job capturing the challenges of navigating a new world in a strange language. (Though she had studied English in Korea, it was not easy for her to understand and communicate.) Her mom plays a huge role in this story. Ha deals with culture, adolescence, and cartooning. What a wonderful book! I highly recommend it.

No comments: