Tuesday, September 29, 2020

If I Were You

 by Lynn Austin

Scott County Library paperback 430 pages

Genre: Christian historical fiction

Published: 2020


Set in England during WWII, wealthy Audrey Clarkson and serving girl Eve Dawson develop an unlikely friendship. Alternating between "current day" 1950 in America and their past in the early 1940s, I definitely preferred the earlier era in their lives. The book was enjoyable, but not one of my favorites by Austin. Book club discussion was excellent!


Page 28 - "Granny kept house, cooked Eve's meals, darned her socks, mended her clothes, took Eve to church, and made sure the cottage was warm all winter long. Granny told Eve how much she loved her every day of her life." 


I loved Granny Maud! That's the character I most want to be like.


Page 70 - "Eve remembered a snippet of the psalm Granny Maud had taught her - 'The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want' - and she smiled at this reminder of the Good Shepherd's care. She wasn't alone after all."


There were many, many references to shepherds and sheep. It was a nice thematic thread running through the story. (But perhaps a little bit cheesy toward the end . . . with Tom and the lost lamb. Still, I love cheese!)


Page 156 - I love that Audrey wonders how to comfort someone and remembers back to Eve offering her some strawberries. Acts of kindness make a difference! (It also makes me think of Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory offering tea.)


Page 184 / 5 - "Eve had never known such terror. She was going to die, and she didn't want to. She wanted to live, get married, have children, grow old. She closed her eyes as she hunched in place, silently pleading with God to spare her life." 


I can't imagine what it felt like to cower in a shelter during the Blitz, but Austin writes of the experience very convincingly!


Page 191 - "Pray about it. Please, love. I know you're angry with God, but talk to Him. This isn't a good time to walk away from Him."


Words of wisdom from her mother, but Eve's anger and loss is so very deep.


Page 217 - "She was still thinking about her daddy as the train chugged into Victoria Station in London, and mourning the loss of his photograph in the rubble of the town house. Granny Maud's picture of the Good Shepherd had also been destroyed along wiht any faith Eve might have had in Him."


This made me so sad! I totally understand how this character (and real people in real life) can get discouraged and give up on God, but that's when they need Him most of all!


Page 255 - "Because the pull of family is even stronger than the force of gravity . . ."


I like how she worded this.


Page 256 - "After I enlisted, the Army was passing out Bibles to anyone who wanted one, so I took it, even though religion has been little more than a formality for most of my life. Inside the cover was a letter from President Roosevelt. I'll have to show it to you sometime. He recommended that everyone in the armed services read the Bible, said it has offered wisdom and strength and inspiration to people throughout the ages. I've been reading it ever since."


When Robert says this to Audrey, my research bring pinged. Is this true or fiction? So cool! Read more here: www.museumofthebible.org/book/minutes/275

 

Page 400 - "That was the destructive power of sin and lies - they harmed the innocent along with the guilty." 


'Nuff said.


Page 410 - "I told him he should confess to God but not to Jean. God would forgive him, but Jean might never get over his betrayal. I don't think it's right to unburden your own heart by laying the load on someone else's. Some secrets are better left untold."


Wow! We had a LOT of discussion on this one . . . I'm usually in favor of "honesty is the best policy" but confessing an infidelity can cause more pain and suspicion. Getting something off your own guilty conscience can end up burdening someone else. Others were convinced that keeping this secret from his wife was almost worse than committing adultery in the first place. This is what I love about book club - the discussion, the give and take of ideas and perspectives. It was a great conversation.


Page 427 - "If you have confessed your sins and laid them at Jesus' feet and asked for forgiveness, then it is done. Finished. You are a new woman in Christ. The old is gone. It's as if you've swapped places with Jesus, and God sees His righteousness whenever He looks at you. You get to start all over again, and you don't need to feel ashamed anymore."


Mrs. Vandenberg is so lovely! Wouldn't it be great if all Christians believed and acted in accordance with what Scripture says? (I'm including myself in that!)




No comments: