Thursday, May 23, 2019

King and Maxwell

by David Baldacci
Scott County Library audiobook 11 CDs
read by Ron McLarty and Orlagh Cassidy
genre: detective fiction

I grabbed this after my sister's reaction to the last Baldacci book I read . . . she's a huge fan of King and Maxwell. I like the characters pretty well, but I'm not a "must read" fan.

The vocal work on this was irritating for the first few CDs. Not the actual voices, but the pacing. It sounded as though they didn't record at the same time and place, so the person who edited left odd gaps. The narration and all male characters were read by McLarty. Only Michelle Maxwell's (and other female characters') lines were read by Cassidy.

Not sure why I made a note of this, but I jotted "Charge of the Light Brigade" on my car paper . . . there must have been a reference to it in the book, but I don't remember it now. Must. Google.

I loved the little old neighbor lady by the Wingos' house! "I gotta pee." She was a hoot! I kind of wished she'd been in more scenes.

Alan Grant is evil. As I listened, I kept thinking of his wife and kids not being aware of his other life. The lengths someone might go to in exacting revenge . . . this story's premise is extreme, but definitely gets at some of the baser aspects of human nature.

Sam Wingo, geopolitics, etc. Interesting stuff.

Edgar was another favorite character for me! Brilliant but clueless. I love him! By the end of the story, I'm actually thinking of getting whatever is the "next" book in this series to see how the Edgar part turns out . . .

The description of the president's limousine - "The Beast" - was fascinating! I wonder if it's true?

I suppose the sign of a wonderful book is one that makes me more curious. This one succeeded!

No comments: