Monday, October 29, 2018

A Rumored Fortune

by Joanna Davidson Politano
Scott County Library paperback 390 pages
genre: Christian historical romance

Like her first book, there are things I truly enjoy and also things I dislike about Politano's writing.

Enjoyed: the male protagonist Donegan Vance! What a wonderful leading man. (That's not really a spoiler . . . if you can't tell from the get-go that he'll be the hero . . . you don't read much.) I liked Tressa's painting and praying. What a great way for her to draw near to the Lord. I liked the clever retorts between the two - '"At your service, one scrawny little bird.' I lifted my hand gracefully to meet his. 'With airs.'" Nice! And at the very end when she echoes his line: "I don't listen well either."

I also liked that it was a light, pleasant romance. Delightful.

Didn't like: It was way too predictable! At least her first book had me wondering. This was much too obvious. I don't want to put spoilers here for other readers, but the "questions" are too clearly answered in advance. It also kind of bothered me that the daddy issues and money theme are so much like the first book. If her third one reads the same way, I may be done with Politano's books.

Overall, a light, pleasant book to read. Donegan was a worthy hero!

Oh! I also liked on page 347 when Tressa is talking with the lamplighter about Donegan.
"Why would he do all this in secret?"
"It's what the Good Book says, isn't it? Don't let the right hand see what the left is doing. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit."
"Donegan isn't the sort of man I would imagine knowing much Scripture."
He studied me with a knowing smile. "No, miss. He simply lives it out."

Yes! Living out God's Word is much more powerful than just knowing it!

No comments: