Wednesday, August 29, 2018

The Bookshop on the Corner

by Jenny Colgan
Hennepin County Library
(1/2 on audiobook - 4 of 8 CDs - and half hardcover - ch. 14 to page 332)
audio read by Lucy Price-Lewis
genre: romance fiction

I loved Colgan's The Cafe by the Sea, but then barely got through two chapters of Christmas at Little Beach Street Bakery (book 3 in a series, so perhaps I should start at book 1). This one was delightful but different than what I expected. Price-Lewis' vocal work was excellent, but I had to return the audiobook because someone was waiting for it and I had already renewed it enough . . . so glad the print edition was on the shelf when I did return it!

Liked:
  • the love of books, reading, and libraries
  • Nina's growth as a character
  • the literary allusions (many of which went over my head! Clearly, I don't read enough.)
  • the joy of the Scottish people in their celebrations and in their love of the land
  • not being sure who Nina would connect with . . . I initially assumed Alasdair, the innkeeper . . . 
Disliked:
Not much, really. It's a delightful little romance with an actual story and wonderful characters.

No comments: