Monday, April 23, 2018

Witness in Philadelphia

by Florence Mars, with the assistance of Lynn Eden
Hennepin County Library hardcover, 281 pages
genre: non-fiction history, Civil Rights

I had a piece of paper with three titles on it - Mississippi Burning (a DVD), Murder in Mississippi (an account of the court case), and this one which is a personal eyewitness to the events of 1964.

I was intrigued by the thought of a white woman in Mississippi sharing her perspective of the murder in 1964 of three civil rights workers (James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner). A previous book I had read about the three young men dealt with the horrific murder, cover-up, and publicity (noting that had two of the men not been white, no one would know about it).

Sigh. This was interesting but also depressing. First, it is definitely a product of its time and place. Published in 1977 in Louisiana, it certainly retains some of the tone of that era and place. The preface has two quotes on it:
"Outsiders who come in here and try to stir up trouble should be dealt with in a manner they won't forget." (Neshoba Democrat, April 9, 1964)
"To understand Neshoba County, you have to live here a hundred years." (common saying)

Though Florence Mars is sympathetic to the "Negroes" who are treated so horribly in her home community and she also is persecuted by the KKK for her outspokenness, she still seems quite sympathetic to the majority of the white residents of Neshoba county and the culture shock they experienced in the 1960s. The sentiment that white people had "treated them" (African Americans) so well and it just wasn't appreciated . . . well, please! I just can't stomach it.

The other aspect of the book that truly distressed me is that the men of the KKK identify themselves as Christians! What?!?!?! What Scriptures are they reading? How does brutalizing people, denigrating them, and murdering them fit with what Jesus taught?!?! Ugh!

Since I've never been a great student of history, I think it's important to read a lot of perspectives. In that sense, this was a worthwhile book with lots for me to think about. (And I am so very grateful for all the people who have fought for equal rights in the past and continue to strive for justice today!)

Page 170 - When the police were beating Bud and his wife Beatrice was praying for his life to be spared . . . I got chills. I love that her faith and prayer were answered! (Though I wish they'd never been in a life-or-death situation just for being black and driving down a road . . . )

Page 205 - Pastor Clay was one of my favorite people in this book! His sermons and stances made a difference. "Whatever else the cross means - above everything it is God's way of saying to us, 'You can break my bones, you can drain my blood, you can crush my body, but you cannot stop me from being what I am: the Heavenly Father who loves you and cares for you.'"



Page

No comments: