Friday, April 27, 2018

Playing for Pizza

by John Grisham
Scott County Library audiobook 6 CDs
read by Christopher Evan Welch
genre: realistic fiction

A friend recommended this to me. I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped, but haven't read a lot of Grisham and may need to see if this is typical for him.

Rick Dockery is a much-maligned NFL quarterback who has had one concussion too many. At the story's outset, he is thoroughly dislikable! Arrogant, selfish, brash womanizer . . . pretty typical portrayal of a handsome pro athlete. Even when he ends up in Italy to play for Parma's football team (American football, not soccer), he is a jerk.

But over the course of the story, Rick changes. It is gradual and it is pleasant, but I found myself cheering for him.

Even more than the human characters, the town of Parma, the food, the Italians beckoned. I wanted to book a trip! That reminded me of seeing "Under the Tuscan Sun." Hated the movie, but wanted to travel there!

Enjoyable story. The ending fell flat for me, but it was minor. Rick's story arc and the Parma football season were the important parts.

No comments: