Saturday, September 23, 2017

The Memory of You

by Catherine West
Hennepin County Library paperback 333 pages
genre: Christian fiction, romance

This was an enjoyable, lightweight read. I liked the main characters - Natalie Mitchell and Tanner Collins. I'm not sure why I marked so many pages . . . it wasn't anything really significant. But I want to remove my post-its and get it to another reader before Monday's book club. So:

Page 52 - Laura's faith had an impact on Natalie. "She'd gone to church with the family, out of politeness really, but wondered at the things she'd seen and heard. Wondered at the authenticity of the relationship they talked about having with God."

Page 104 - I like Hal's deep faith and the impact this has on Tanner. "'Not this again,' Tanner groaned, leaned back in his chair, and slung one arm across his eyes. 'Are you seriously going to sit there and tell me that Natalie Mitchell owns half of Maoilios because God told you and Grace to give it to her?'"

I found the theme of failure (and others' perceptions vs. one's own perception) interesting. On page 118, Natalie identifies herself as a failure (confirmed by her father, in her view). On page 124, Jeffrey (Natalie's uncle) identifies himself as a failure.

Page 131 - I like the paragraph, but will just include some of Natalie's questions. "Who was she to ask anything of a God she barely knew? And why would He answer her prayers? . . . Pondering over words like faith. Grace. Mercy."

Page 154 - Ugh! It makes me sad to think how many people in real life have this attitude! "Tanner refused to feel guilty. He went to church. For all intents and purposes, he was an upstanding Christian who could amen along with the best of them." It reminds me of the saying "going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car."

Page 166-7 - What?!?! How did this sudden change come about? We don't see Tanner have a major moment, yet he's evangelizing to Natalie? This just doesn't seem at all realistic.

Page 171 - This is more in line with what we know of the character. ". . . he found himself praying. Not the heartfelt prayers he used to say, but a general God, if you're still listening to me after all this, I could really use some help. He was getting close to the bottom of the barrel and didn't have a clue how to scrape his way out."

Page 243 - I love this page! Natalie is in the chapel at the hospital . . . "What do You want from me?" This is the question we should all be asking God! Later on the page, her other question is equally relevant. "How can I accept what You want to give me?" This is the best part of the book!

Page 284 - We finally know Natalie's deep, dark secret. The truth shall set you free, indeed.

Page 310 - We finally learn why the winery is called Maoilios (though we still don't know how to pronounce it . . . ) "It's an old Scottish Gaelic name. It means 'Servant of Jesus.'"

Page 316-7 - This also seemed a bit unrealistic. Natalie's parents make an extremely drastic change in their attitudes, communication, etc. . . . . I completely believe that God can dramatically change people's lives, but I don't think it happens quickly or easily for folks who do not have a crisis or repent. The ending of the book (the last 15 pages or so) just seemed too pat to me. Still, a very readable book with interesting characters.

I really liked the interactions and frustrations with Tanner parenting his niece and nephew.


No comments: