Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Salt to the Sea

by Ruta Sepetys
PRMS hardcover 378 pages
genre: YA historical fiction, WWII

It was so interesting to read this fictional account at the same time as I was reading The Monuments Men. So many overlapping stories! I love Sepetys' writing style - she really makes history come alive! (I wish I had been able to read books like this as a teen; I might not have hated studying history so much.)

She tells the story from four points of view, with other characters included:
Joana - 21, Lithuanian, medical background, "guilt is a hunter"
Florian - 18 or 19?, Prussian, handsome, fit, injured, "fate is a hunter"
Emilia - 15, Polish, pretty, pregnant, "shame is a hunter"
Alfred - 19 or 20? German, coward with delusions of grandeur, "fear is a hunter"

I caught the (blank) is a hunter line right away at the start of the book . . . and wasn't surprised when it showed up again at the end. This was probably the one thing that didn't "work" for me as a reader. The character (and plot) development was wonderful, as the first three characters (along with others) traveled to the port of Gotenhafen to board a ship to escape the advancing Russian army. The dangers and fears were palpable. I loved Ingrid, the shoe poet, and the wandering boy!

From hearing Sepetys talk at an author event, I knew that this story was "about" the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff (the largest maritime loss of life EVER!). That was certainly a huge learning experience for me. Why do we know so much about the Titanic and the Lusitania and so little about this ship's sinking? Odd. I went to www.wilhelmgustloffmuseum.com based on her research and sources section (after the "author's note") and would gladly read more . . . later.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I loved this book! Can't wait for the movie to come out!

Jeanne LaMoore said...

I didn't even realize it was being made into a movie! She is a wonderful storyteller, but I think Out of the Easy is still my favorite of hers. Looking forward to Litwits!