Monday, February 09, 2015

Darling Jim

by Christian Moerk
Hennepin County Library audiobook, 9 discs
read by Stephen Hoye and Justine Eyre
genre: murder mystery, eerie . . .

This book was very, very creepy in that it drew me in and kept me wondering although I didn't really enjoy it. I was compelled to continue the story to find out what really happened - much as the characters in the story are drawn to Jim's storytelling. From the back flap:

"When two sisters and their aunt are found dead in their suburban Dublin home, it seems that the secret behind their untimely demise will never be known. But then Niall, a young mailman, finds a mysterious diary in the post office's dead-letter bin. From beyond the grave, Fiona Walsh shares the most tragic love story he's ever heard - and her tale has only just begun."

Okay, I'm not sure "tragic love story" fits . . . but the author definitely weaves a multi-layered tale that draws the reader in. I had to know what happened to the sisters and to Niall. I wondered how their aunt captured them. I wanted Mary Catherine to be shut down . . . This isn't a very nice story, but it is fascinating.

The readers were both incredibly excellent and brought several characters to life very effectively.

No comments: