Monday, November 17, 2014

The Hundred-Year House

by Rebecca Makkai
Hennepin County Library hardcover 335 pages
genre: hard to place - realistic, historical, . . .

I read a review of this book that intrigued me, was on the waiting list for a long time, and had to read it within the three weeks alloted by the public library because there are 37 people still waiting for it!

"In this brilliantly conceived, ambitious, and deeply rewarding novel, Rebecca Makkai unfolds a generational saga in reverse, leading the reader back in time on a literary scavenger hunt as we seek to uncover the truth about these strange people and this mysterious house."

Beginning in 1999, the story focuses on Zee, her husband Doug, her mother Gracie and husband Bruce, and the "Texans" who show up - Cole (Bruce's son) and wife Miriam.

Part II is set in 1955 and focuses on Grace, George, "Max," and Amy. I can't really write what I want to because that would be incredible spoiler material. Actually, my brain is still having a tough time untangling all the threads.

Part III is set in 1929 and focuses on the artists' colony and all the artists themselves. Gamaliel Devohr plans to shut it down and they are determined to keep it open.

Part IV is set in 1900 and is quite short. The house is being planned and we finally, briefly, meet Violet.

I almost feel like re-reading the entire book to have the pieces fit better in my mind! It is an intriguing story. I marked page 172 where Grace is thinking about why she loves the attic so much. "She figured she loved it for the reason we always love attics, for the reason they figure in our dreams: because they are the hidden rooms where we store our pasts. Where we stick the things we can't bear to throw away but hope we never have to see again."

I also marked page 331 - "What is the opposite of memory? What is the inverse of an echo?"

I love how the house is the main character throughout the story. I love the mystery of who's who and what's what. I would have liked to know even more about Violet and many of the other characters.


Spoiler:
(I have to make note of this!)
The poet, Edwin "Eddie" Parfitt faked his suicide by drowning in Wisconsin. He actually came back to Laurelfield (the house) and took on the persona of Max, the caretaker. When Amy had George's baby (I presume) - they named her Zee after Zilla - and they raised her as though they were George and Grace Grant. So Doug trying so hard to learn more about the poet Edwin Parfitt was futile . . . his own wife had been raised by him! And Gracie could have given him first-person perspective on his life and work.

No comments: