Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Lost Hero

by Rick Riordan
PRMS hardcover 553 pages
genre: YA adventure, mythology

Although this is a re-read, I want to blog it while it's fresh in my mind. I'm not always good about keeping track . . .
Percy Jackson has gone missing and Annabeth is searching for him.
Jason Grace shows up on a bus on a field trip remembering nothing about himself, much less his "girlfriend" Piper or his "friend" Leo.
The three end up at Camp Half-Blood where they learn about their demigod status, their powers, and their quest. They must save Hera before the king of the giants Porphyron rises and Gaea fully reawakens.
My favorite parts are Leo fixing Festus, the giant bronze dragon, and Piper getting control of the Aphrodite cabin from Drew.
Fun story.

 

<The above entered 4.24.14. Below added 10.1.21.>

I didn't realize this was my *third* time reading this book. For the most part, it bugged me. But I had the audiobook on Libby and was in my car a lot. It worked well to listen while I drove. (Technology. Wow. My phone and car are smarter than I am!)

 

Reasons it bugged me:

  • in the height of action / fighting, someone having a conversation about something not related to a life and death struggle
  • the long section between Piper and Hera . . . about mythology . . . 
  •  there was something else, but I didn't jot any notes and I don't care that much

 

This time my favorites were Coach (the satyr) and Mele (the wind spirit). Read by Joshua Swanson, it was a good way to pass car time. I've already requested book two . . . not sure why right now. But the other audiobook I have on my phone has been torture and I wanted something a bit more enjoyable. More on that later.

No comments: