Monday, April 21, 2014

Insurgent

by Veronica Roth
PRMS hardcover 525 pages
genre: YA dystopian adventure romance

This was actually kind of disappointing. It seemed meandering and almost boring between action sequences. I'm sure I would feel differently if I were a 15-year-old girl, but I don't identify well with Tris and Tobias doesn't seem like that great of a guy other than the fact that he's hot-looking and strong. They are hiding out in Amity with the rest of the war refugees (my term) and trying to figure out what's really going on. There's a lot of back-and-forth on an emotional level (each one keeping secrets from the other) and within this world (with the factionless, Candor, and Erudite taking big chunks of the plot with them). And you can't forget the Dauntless - both the traitors who allied with Erudite and the ones who are trying to figure out what to do next. And the great big secret that Abnegation wanted to share and Erudite wants to hide? You'll have to slog through . . . I mean, read . . . the book to find out. Not sure I have any desire at all to read book three.

No comments: