Friday, December 20, 2013

The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child

by Donalyn Miller
Hennepin County Library paperback 211 pages

I read this over a year ago, but found hand-written notes while cleaning up and realized I had never blogged about it. Here goes:

pg. 86 - Bucking the Sarge (Curtis) / read-alouds / Tripping Over the Lunch Lady (stories?) / The Sixth Grade Nickname Game (Korman) . . . I think I wanted to read / buy these titles for PRMS . . .

pg. 93 Genres - Poetry, traditional literature (better name than "classics"), fantasy, science fiction, realistic, historical fiction, mystery, biography / autobiography, informational, true crime . . . then I added a post-it note that says "humor," "romance," "paranormal," "dystopian"

pg. 114 - Why you should read children's books as an adult (book by Jen Robinson) - blog by her???

pg. 116 - websites! sources - Books That Don't Bore 'Em (Blasingame) / www.goodreads.com / http://jkrbooks.typepad.com / teenreads * link on my page!

pg. 137 - do book commercials

pg 165 - Notion that one teacher cannot tell another what to do / not do

I recall being really excited by this book. She promotes reading and kids respond. Too often, teachers' efforts serve more to dampen students' enthusiasm for reading. It's so exciting to see kids "get it" and get excited about books. I wish all language arts teachers would read this!

No comments: