Sunday, December 29, 2013

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb
Hennepin County Library hardcover 327 pages
genre: non-fiction, biography

This is a fascinating book. It seems hard for me to believe that just over a year ago, this teenager was shot in the head and not killed. Her love for Swat valley in Pakistan is eye-opening to me. She grew up there and loves her homeland (and wishes she could go back), but to me, the presence of the Taliban and the dangers to people who live there is just too scary. This is a wonderful book, but the difficulty of helping people who have such unique challenges (military, Taliban, cultural differences, etc.) is daunting. What a unique girl (and what an amazing dad she has!). I wonder if she'll ever be able to go back to Pakistan.

No comments: