Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Riding the Bus with my Sister

by Rachel Simon
PRMS paperback 293 pages
genre: memoir

I finally read it! This was a Chaska community read a few years ago.After having read Simon's beautiful book this fall (The Story of Beautiful Girl), I really wanted to read her memoir. It's wonderfully written, with honesty and insight. She organized the book into the twelve months of the year, sharing childhood reflections along with insight gained from riding the buses with her mentally handicapped sister, Beth. The story is both complex and simple, with family dynamics, personal feelings of failure, and striving for a better life. A truly worthwhile read!

I need to photocopy the discussion of words and names on pages 99-100 . . . excellent to use with students!

I marked pages 228-229 when the author loses her cool with Beth for constantly turning the conversation to her own complaints. This resonated with me far too much! When I get frustrated with my dad, I just want to scream. I try to tell myself, "this is just how he is, Jeanne. He doesn't want dialog or discussion; he just wants to complain and go over the same things he continues to drone on about." But it doesn't change how I FEEL. These pages jumped out at me.

10/7/13 - Finally added the pages with words & names. I made marks to show the section in context, rather than cropping out all the extra.

No comments: