Friday, October 12, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars

by John Green
Hennepin County Library audioCDs 6 discs
read by Kate Rudd
genre: Teen realistic fiction, coming-of-age, cancer

Amazing. Painful. Beautiful.
I'm too tired to write coherently (conferences last night), but this is due back at the library. The voice work was fantastic - Kate Rudd brought the story to life extremely well. The story itself is very well-crafted. It was hard for me, though, as a Christian, to think about this resonating with kids when the protagonists (and their parents) lack any understanding of God and His love for us. The bleak perspective that Hazel has for her own mortality and Gus' ponderings on the Something that he believes in . . . just made me really sad. Green's writing is profound without being pedantic. I can see why he is so popular with my more capable readers. I actually finished this on Sunday, but haven't blogged lately.

No comments: