Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat: and other clinical tales

by Oliver Sacks
Hennepin County Library hardcover 223 pages
genre: clinical psychology

- initially recommended to me about a decade ago by Jody West
- mentioned in Born on a Blue Day
- clinical case studies on many unusual neurological disorders
- lack of face recognition, synesthesia, autism, savants, etc.
- written in 1970s through early 80s, the writing often struck me as archaic (not that I've read LOTS of brain research info)
- interesting how he referenced others' research from the late 1800s through "modern" (early 80s) works
- remarkably NOT politically correct when he refers to morons, idiots, and defectives . . . kind of amusing in a way. One simply does not refer to people with disorders in this manner any more
- interesting to make connections between this book, the audiobook I'm listening to now (The Shallows), Born on a Blue Day, and You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know (10/11).
- many things I wanted to note while I was reading, but I can't think of any now

No comments: