Thursday, July 19, 2012

Birthmarked

by Caragh M. O'Brien
PRMS paperback 359 pages
genre: YA dystopian mystery/adventure/relationships

Set in the future (2390 and on), water is a scarce commodity and "unlake" Superior is a dry bed with boulders and some plant growth. The Enclave is full of the privileged people while Gaia and her family live outside the wall. She has learned the art of midwifery from her mother. Then things get crazy. Her parents are arrested, she is interrogated, and she decides to sneak inside to save her parents.

I didn't exactly enjoy reading this, but I found it fascinating. The author's questions at the end are amazing - I really want to do this as a book club with 8th graders! I am curious to read the next book in the trilogy, but simply have too many books on my reading list right now. I want to see Leon safe and back with Gaia.

No comments: