Thursday, January 26, 2012

Savvy

by Ingrid Law
PRMS hardcover 342 pages
genre: YA coming-of-age, fantasy

Mibs (Mississippi) Beaumont is eager for her 13th birthday. Besides becoming a teenager, she will learn what her savvy (special magical gift) is. Her older brothers Rocket and Fish have powers affecting electricity and water, respectively. But when their father is in a serious car accident just two days before her birthday, Mibs, Fish, and younger brother Samson end up in the clutches of Miss Rosemary, the preacher's wife.

A student implored me to read this book and I finally gave in. I'm so glad I did! Though it didn't catch my interest in the first few chapters, Law has done a wonderful job of looking at the intricacies of people and their relationships. And she has done it in a way that will attract many young readers. This book was delightful and I look forward to booktalking it with kids!

No comments: