Monday, January 02, 2012

Beast

by Donna Jo Napoli
PRMS paperback 260 pages
genre: fairy tale redux

Beauty and the Beast as told by the Beast's perspective. Interesting take on the tale, but I found the first half to be too slow. It will be interesting to see how many of my 8th grade book club kids can get through it. Prince Orasmyn (through language professor Napoli's lens) spends many chapters teaching us about Islam and Persian culture. His reason for becoming a lion is unusual . . . it didn't seem to fit with the traditional tale I'm familiar with. What was he supposed to do about the camel sacrifice? It's not quite the same as the arrogant youth situation.

Anyhow, I put lots of post-its in with talking points. Overall, this didn't do much for me. I liked Chou Chou, the pet fox.

Added 1/17/12 upon post-it removal:
pg. 5 "So many new words! Author's purpose?"
pg. 21 in response to "Fasting is difficult. But that's what makes it worth doing. Discipline, self-restraint, generosity toward those who truly lack the necessities of life - that's what fasting is about." I wrote "For me, it's about obedience to God."
pg. 65 - "Sex." (I'm assuming this scene is why it wasn't being used with sixth graders. My 8th graders didn't think it was "that bad," though. Orasmyn as a lion has sex with two lionesses.)
pg. 69 - "lions feeding. Gross" extremely graphic and disgusting. Visceral.
pg. 99 - "What else could he have done to communicate?" As Orasmyn leaves his parents sleeping in his room.
pg. 115 - "Learning by observation." as he watches the other lions to figure things out.
pg. 140 - "Closer to traditional tale" he has found an abandoned castle to stay in."
pg. 146 - "love of books & language (heart)" Orasmyn as a lion is using the castle's library to explore ideas and retain the vestiges of his humanity
pg. 150 - "color blindness. knowing what's lost."
pg. 164 - "My favorite chapter so far! (Because of familiarity?)" at the end of ch. 14
pg. 198 - "What?! Why does she say this?" in response to the woman saying "I am neither thief, nor seductress." . . . why did she say this to a lion who just attacked the little fox she was caring for?
pg. 216 - "religious teachings"
pg. 239 - "A Muslim lion converting a Christian woman?"
pg. 248 - "Chou Chou is a wonderful character! Light, positive"
pg. 251 - "Book is almost over & Belle isn't even back yet."
pg. 255 - "Seriously? That's how it ends? Is he naked or clothed?"
pg. 260 - "Interesting recommednation. Benefits of studying languages." on author's note afterword. I hadn't realized that she was a linguistics professor, but it makes sense.

Only two of my eighth graders finished the book! The discussion was pretty limited.

No comments: