Friday, December 09, 2011

The Downside of Being Up

by Lawrence Sitomer
Hennepin County Library hardcover 210 pages
genre: YA male puberty, humor

Oh my. Very funny book, but more penis humor than I've ever encountered in my life before. I think I'll buy it for my collection. Recommended (?) by my peers who heard about it at a BER conference (except I don't think they plan to get it).

Not very realistic that he would be penalized for having an erection in school (as one character says, it would become an all-girl school pretty quickly if they expelled boys for that), this book has enough realistic elements to make it work. The nutty grandpa made me laugh the most. The dad's skewed life philosophy was a catalyst for Bobby to live his life differently. The brother-sister dynamic wasn't explored enough (and there was waaaaay too much of Finkelstein), but it was a delightful book.

No comments: