Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Clearing in the Wild

by Jane Kirkpatrick
Hennepin County Library, paperback, 365 pages

Historical fiction based on a true story. A German Christian community located in Missouri sends scouts out to find land out west for the group to move to and develop. Emma is outspoken and determined, qualities that alienate her from the group's leader, "Father" Wilhelm Keil. She falls in love with the much older Christian and seeks to be the perfect wife.

I didn't like this story. The characters bugged me. It wasn't compelling. My favorite scene was when she left with her baby, the goat, and the tarp. Our discussion last night at Gretchen's was fantastic! I love hearing what other people think of a book. We have such a fantastic group of women in our book club! It was fun to hear why other people liked it, even though I didn't.

No comments: