Saturday, November 01, 2008

Adverbs

by Daniel Handler
Carver County Library, hardcover, 272 pages

Written by the author of the "Lemony Snicket" books - A Series of Unfortunate Events - this title had some rave reviews. I didn't get past chapter two, though. I like the clever premise of love being an adverb (how something is done), but the disjointed stories and the long, rambling, stream-of-consciousness sentences just didn't do it for me. I decided not to continue reading books that I just don't enjoy.

In the first chapter, entitled "Immediately," the man lies to his long-time live-in girlfriend (telling her first that he's going to the reading of the will of his father, then that the man wasn't really his dad) only to get in a cab and fall in love with the driver and then follow the cab driver to a cafe for a cup of coffee and wonder about their future together and I think you get the idea.

Just not something I want to spend more time reading.

No comments: