Saturday, June 07, 2008

Wrapped in Rain

subtitled "A Novel of Coming Home"
by Charles Martin
Hennepin County, paperback, 317 pages

Tucker and Matthew have different mothers, but the same abusive father. Their only saving grace growing up was Miss Ella Rain, a God-fearing, Bible-quoting, tiny black woman with a heart filled with love. This novel was quite different from the first one of Martin's that I read, but it was just as enjoyable. Tucker and "Mutt" reacted to their father's cruelty in different ways, but both were traumatized dramatically. I especially loved Mutt's ability to fix things and Tucker's gentle way with Katie's son Jase. I also loved Ella's powerful faith! The Judge was a wonderful character, too.

2 comments:

Sarah Rother said...

This sounds like a great book. I am wondering where the title comes from. Wrapped in Rain puts such a clear image in my mind.

Jeanne LaMoore said...

I'm not positive about the title, but to me it was the way Ella Rain had tried to protect the kids from their father while they were growing up. Even after she died, Tucker took direction from what she had said and taught him while alive. There are also symbolic rain scenes in the book. Read it and let me know what you think! The first one of his that I read "When Crickets Cry" really impacted me. This guy is one of my favorite new authors!