Thursday, June 12, 2008

America the Beautiful

by Laura Hayden
Hennepin County, paperback, 389 pages

When my church book club was discussing this, I was in the thick of all-night grad party stuff. I had also just picked up my copy from the library. They lamented that I missed the discussion. Knowing how passionate some of my friends are about politics, that doesn't surprise me. I was actually kind of dreading this book. Politics. Yuk.

It surprised me how much I liked the story. I just finished it this morning. Kate is a wonderful character, but it seemed hard to see her sticking with someone like Emily. By the end of the book, I was disliking Emily more and more. It's believable stuff, though. It really serves to further my dislike of politics.

My favorite part of the story? Naturally, the entrancing Nick Beaudry and his change of heart, as well as the potential for future romance between him and Kate. I'm just a romantic at heart!

Not sure if I'll want to read the sequel when it comes out, though. Red, White, and Blue will be about the first female president . . . sorry for the spoiler!

No comments: