Tuesday, October 10, 2023

The Maid

by Nita Prose

Scott County Library hardcover 285 pages

Published: 2022

Genre: realistic fiction

 

I don't remember where this book was recommended, but I'm glad I read it! There are spoilers toward the end of this, so stop reading if you want to discover the story on your own. Google the teaser / blurb for this book and you'll think you know what you're in for . . . but it is so worth the read. I actually struggled through the first third or so, but couldn't turn the pages fast enough toward the end. Molly is clearly on the autism spectrum. It's hard to reconcile her perception of people and situations with what is obvious to "everyone" else. 

 

As the story progresses and we learn more about the day Mr. Black died, it gets more and more intriguing. My first post-it note is on page 149 (more than halfway through the book) and then I have six total. I probably would have done more, but I was eagerly reading to finish the story! If you can be patient with the first part and get to know the characters, you will be rewarded.


Page 149: "That's the trouble with pain. It's as contagious as a disease. It spreads from the person who first endured it to those who love them most. Truth isn't always the highest ideal; sometimes it must be sacrificed to stop the spread of pain to those you love. Even children know this intuitively."


Molly is referring to not telling her grandma about being bullied at school as a child. Her grandma found out anyway, but Molly had not told her because "what happened at school was bad enough, but Gran knowing about my suffering meant she experienced my pain too." This is so sad! Even as a child, Molly's love for her grandma was powerful. Kids who are bullied shouldn't have to carry this kind of burden alone. So very sad.


Page 232: "The more you live, the more you learn."


This was some of her grandma's wisdom that is relevant for all of us! In this specific situation, Molly is cognizant of her own growth in reading people's facial expressions. "I will know that it means fear because I'm getting better at this - understanding the subtle cues, the body language that expresses emotional states." But really, the hubris of youth (in my case) can be replaced with wisdom if a person is open to learning.


Page 236: "Give my regards to Detective Stark." / "You want me to . . . are you sure?" / "There's no reason to be impolite."


Out of context, this doesn't seem noteworthy. But boy did it make me smile! How very Molly like to want to be polite, even to the detective who accused her of murder and was rude to her! I love Molly as a character.

 

Page 247-8: " For the first time in my life, I think I understand what a true friend is. It isn't just someone who likes you; it's someone willing to take action on your behalf."


I'm so very blessed to have wonderful true friends! Poor Molly has had no one since her grandma died. Now she has Mr. Preston, his daughter Charlotte, and Juan Manuel in her corner. I love this! 


SPOILERS AHEAD! Please stop reading this entry and just go read the book!


Page 256 - I don't have a specific quotation from this page, but I was so shocked by the revelation that Molly had helped her grandma to die. When the pain was too much and the meds just weren't cutting it, Molly helped her die. This page is beautiful and horrible. It ends with her Gran's advice to "count your blessings." Oh my. 


Page 267 - I love that Molly becomes the head maid! I love that she is a good leader who is considerate of the other maids. I love that she is earning more money and working toward her goals.


I didn't mark the page, but I was gobsmacked when I learned that Mr. Black's real killer was the first Mrs. Black. AND that Molly saw her and talked to her the day of the murder. And Molly didn't ever tell anyone! I did not see that coming. 


I love that Giselle got the villa and got away and that the sleezeball Rodney was nailed for the crimes. I love that Molly and Juan Manuel were so compatible! (Including the jigsaw puzzles) 

 

I was a bit disappointed that Molly did not get her grandma's hard-earned "Fabergé" back from Wilbur, the scoundrel who deceived Molly and stole all the money. An unrealistic part of me wanted her to confide in Charlotte and see justice happen!


Oh! It was implied (quite strongly) that Mr. Preston was Molly's grandfather. Charlotte "got" it after hearing about Molly's mother's story . . . oh my, this book has layers and levels!


Page 285: Gran was correct after all. About all of it. About everything. 

The longer you live, the more you learn.

People are a mystery that can never be solved.

Life has a way of sorting itself out.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.


What a delightful book!



No comments: