Saturday, September 16, 2023

The Pilgrim's Progress

by John Bunyan (published 1678)

"faithfully" retold by: Cheryl V. Ford

Libby eBook

Published: 2016

Genre: theological fiction


This is one of those books that I've heard ABOUT for decades, but had not personally read. Doing a little reading on Wikipedia, I'm glad I found this version. It was a bit of a challenge for me to get through, but to learn that Bunyan simple wrote a narrative in two parts (no chapters) . . . I don't think I could read his original version.


Ford did a nice job. The font size on my reader had the book at 1,024 pages with the main narrative ending on page 889. The remaining 100+ pages were a general index, a Scripture index, discussion questions, and notes. I did NOT read past page 889. Part one was chapters 1 - 17, then "The Author's Way of Sending Forth His Second Part of the Pilgrim," then part two was chapters 18 - 36. It has taken me several months (read a chunk, have to return it and wait, get it again, etc. . . . )

 

Preface: "After doing a comparative study of several versions of the book, however, I concluded that there was a real need for a modern version that would be complete and faithful to the  original, without taking great liberties to embellish the story on the one hand and without subtracting from it on the other. It would also need to communicate with our generation while still sounding like John Bunyan."


She did a pretty incredible job. I'm glad I read it, but I don't think I'll re-read it! If you are curious about The Pilgrim's Progress like I was, I highly recommend this version! (Or the two-volume graphic novel version from Kingstone Media. I haven't read it yet, but I put it on my wish list.)


Chapter 5: "I cannot commend my life, for I am conscious of my many failings. I know that a man's own actions can quickly overpower whatever persuasive ability he may have to convince others for their own good. Yet I can honestly say that I tried to be very careful not to be a negative example in any way so that they would have no reason for not joining me on the pilgrimage."


This is when Christian was talking with Charity. This is something that has been on my mind - I cannot make others' spiritual decisions for them, but I can consider my own words and example.


Chapter 6: " . . . to tell you the truth, I like His service, His wages, His servants, His government, His company, and His Country better than yours. So forget about trying to persuade me further. I am His servant, and I will follow Him."

Chapter 6: "'All this is true,' answered Christian, 'and much more that you have left out. But the Prince whom I serve and honor is merciful and ready to forgive.'" 


When Apollyon confronted Christian about his past and his path, Christian spoke boldly of his desire to follow Jesus. He acknowledged his past weakness and sin but was steadfast in his determination to serve the Lord. Yay! 

 

Chapter 7: ". . . but who can thwart the inevitable consequences of one's own foolish choices?"


Faithful responds to Christian's observation that "a dog returns to its vomit" in discussing people who struggle to follow the pilgrim's way. It reminds me that I can care about people. I can try to give sound advice and assistance. But each of us is responsible for our own actions. I can't make anyone do what I think is right, nor should I try!


Chapter 8: "You did well to talk so openly with him. There is not enough of this kind of faithful dealing with people nowadays. It is no wonder that religion stinks in the nostrils of so many. Three are so many fools who like to hear themselves talk, and whose religion is reduced to words alone, while their life-styles reflect only corruption and worthlessness. The fact that such people are welcomed into the fellowship of the godly is a confusing mystery to those in the world; it produces a dark blemish upon the name of Christianity and a deep grief in the hearts of sincere believers."


Christian encourages Faithful that he has said and done as much as he could to Talkative. (The telling names for the characters is directly from Bunyan - Pliable, Pious, Charity, Mr. Sagacity, etc.) The idea that "religion stinks in the nostrils of so many" makes me sad. I know of too many people who reject God because of what they have seen, heard, or experienced from the church. I was personally horrified during President Trump's campaign to hear that evangelical Christians "overwhelmingly" supported him. Not me! He was and is so rude, arrogant, greedy, and just generally awful. I think it was a horrible mistake for Christians to identify with him.


Chapter 10: "As for me, I like that religion best that will favor the security of God's good blessings to us."


Mr. Hold-the-world is agreeing with Mr. By-ends about the value of faith when it is connected with blessings. They are also talking with Mr. Money-love. The three think of themselves as faithful Christians, but they are clearly just in it for what they can get. Why did I highlight this line? Honestly, I most often feel fond of my faith when things in life are going well. Of course I love God's blessings! I know that I need to build up my faith in ALL circumstances, but I'd be a liar if I said that I enjoy hardship and strife. And truly, the religion that will favor the security of God . . . is to die to self and live fully for Him.


Chapter 18: "'Hear of him!' exclaimed Mr. Sagacity. 'Yes, and I also heard about all the abuse, troubles, battles, captivities, cries, moans, terrors, and fears that he encountered on his journey.' . . . 'I can say that his hazardous journey won many admirers.'"


In the second part of the story, Christiana and her sons are both saddened and gratified to learn that Christian is so well-known and well-admired throughout the places he traveled on his pilgrimage. This part reminded me of Casting Crowns' song "Only Jesus." I hope my "legacy" is that Jesus Saves.


Chapter 27: "'It is my duty to distrust my own ability,' replied Great-heart, 'so that I might have full reliance on Him who is stronger than all.'"


Great-heart was the guide for Christiana and group. He is brave, but also humble. This makes me think of FROG - Fully Rely On God. It's a good reminder!


Chapter 27: "He said he would die if he didn't reach the Celestial City, and, yet, he was dejected at every difficulty. He stumbled at every straw that anyone cast his way."


Mr. Honest is talking about Mr. Fearing to Great-heart. I know people like this, stumbling at every straw. How does one encourage and build up people who are so easily dejected?


Chapter 28: "'He believed that he could follow the vices as well as the virtues of pilgrims and that, in so doing, he would not jeopardize his salvation.'"


Mr. Honest is talking to Great-heart about Mr. Self-will. "He did what his own mind prompted him to do, and nothing else could sway him." I also know people like this! And I have struggled with doing whatever I like, confident that God's forgiveness and love will wash away my sin. I don't want to deceive myself, though, and set up any barriers in my heart. Taking up my cross daily . . . it's never one and done for repentance!


Chapter 28: "If that same person were given a week to run twenty miles in order to save his life, he wouldn't wait until the last hour to do it."


I love this analogy by Great-heart! Christiana had observed that she knew someone who "said that he was certain he would have enough time to repent when it was his time to die." I love that people CAN receive repentance and eternal life on their deathbeds. I think of the thief on the cross next to Jesus. What encouragement! But to purposely avoid repentance so one can live however they want and just count on wiping the slate clean right before they die . . . that's so short-sighted. None of us know when we will die. And there's so much to gain by living for Christ during this life!


Chapter 33: "This is to show you that he who has a heart to help the poor will never run out of resources. For 'he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.' And the flour that the widow used to make bread for the prophet did not cause her to have any less in her barrel."

 

Chapter 33: "A fool will attempt to change a person to make him like himself, not realizing that God is the originator of our differences. True righteousness has nothing to do with the outward appearance but is of the heart. Every effort to effect change in a person that disregards the need for change in the inner nature of the heart results in frustration and even greater unrighteousness. So it was with the Pharisees, and so it continues to be with all hypocrites."


The Shepherds are telling stories to help instruct Christiana and her group. They are Bible stories, but with more detail and context. The first story is about a Generous Man who made coats and garments for the poor. The pile of cloth in front of him was huge! The second story is about Fool and Want-wit trying to wash the blackness off an Ethiopian man. I like the way Bunyan wove Scripture and Jesus' teachings into his story.


Chapter 34: "Some question whether or not we will know one another when we get there."

 

Valiant-for-truth and Great-heart talk about Heaven and if Christian will rejoice to be with his wife and children when they get there. Their entire conversation is interesting and worth digging into Scripture to learn more. I'm not sure I agree with Great-heart's assertion that "since our relatives are so near to us, like an extension of ourselves" and that we will be more glad to see them in Heaven rather than left out. But the Bible says that there is no more weeping, pain, sadness, etc. in Heaven. It stands to reason that if our earthly attachments matter more than glorifying God, something's out of whack.


The end of the story has lots and lots of characters being "called home." Overall, I'm glad I read it. I'm a tiny bit curious if anyone's made a movie of it and if it's any good.





No comments: