Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Rubyfruit Jungle

by: Rita Mae Brown

Libby audiobook 6 hours

Read by: Anna Paquin

Published: 1973 (this version in 2022)

Genre: realistic fiction


I did not like this book, but I listened to the entire thing. (I drove from home to Green Bay, WI, and from there to the lake.) The intro alone made me question the content. I had originally checked it out based upon a recommendation from a friend (though she was telling me to read the Sneaky Pie Brown series . . . by this same author).

 

Molly was born in 1944(?) so the story starts with her childhood in the early 50s.


Some quick car notes:

  • Part One:
  • edgy . . . language (swearing and crudity)
  • Molly and Brockle . . . Detweiler - showing his uncircumcized penis for 5 cents per view (as elementary school children
  • "mom" Carrie is nasty
  • cousin Leroy, tattler Earl, Molly is MEAN but Carrie is worse!
  • trivializing marriage, Christian faith, . . 
  • sixth grade, 11 y.o. Molly and Liota exploring one another sensually 
  • Part Two:
  • move to Florida
  • "queer"
  • "Keep doing it if it feels good."
  • Connie, Caroline - negative peer pressure
  • F-bombs galore . . . 
  • devaluing sex, relationships
  • college roommate Faye / psych ward, scholarships removed
  • Part Three:
  • 1960s, home, hitchhiking, NYC
  • Ronny - throwing grapefruits
  • $62.50/month for rent in a NY apartment!!!?? 1962 seems unreal in this regard . . . 
  • convo with Holly re: money, morals, race, etc. I found this part to be ho-hum
  • Holly leaves
  • Part Four:
  • Silver Publishing, Stella, Mr. Cohen
  • Paulina and Paul . . . yuk
  • "incest doesn't seem like such a trauma to me" 
  • and Alice! This was too much for me. Molly is having sex with the mom, the dad, and the daughter. Just no.
  • film school and sexism, equipment, professor 

 

This isn't actually a review, is it? There were places in the book that had beautiful language. I loved Molly's final film school project. I think Carrie was suffering from some serious mental illness. I'm glad we got to revisit Leroy and where life took him. I did not enjoy this book.


Oh! And the title refers to a woman's genitals.

No comments: