Friday, July 22, 2022

The Healing of Natalie Curtis

by Jane Kirkpatrick

Dakota County Library paperback 326 pages plus author's notes, etc.

Published: 2021

Genre: Christian historical fiction

 

I'm sorry to say that I struggled to finish this book. I'm not 100% sure why I had to force myself to read it, but I'm glad I'm finally done! It's puzzling because the topic is interesting and important. Natalie Curtis was a real person and her life's work was significant. She just wasn't a compelling protagonist for me. That said, I've got a LOT of post-it notes in this book! I missed the book club meeting in June (we were at the lake) but I know at least one other person who's usually an avid reader didn't finish this title.

 

Basically, Natalie Curtis trained as a musician but suffered a breakdown. She went out West with her brother George to recover her health. She ended up becoming an ethnomusicologist and battling against the Indian Code. She had a connection to President Theodore Roosevelt and used it to try to change policy.

 

Page 35 - "A Norwegian summary had to be translated into English, and she silenced the voice that said she ought to learn Norwegian so she could be certain of the text. She knew German. I could learn. She stopped herself. This was where her intensity and perfectionism led her down a terrible trail. She already knew what lay at the end of that."


Though I wouldn't call myself a perfectionist, I certainly know what this feels like! "I could . . . " can open doors, but it can also drag one down! My sister Ann calls this the "woulda coulda shoulda" struggle.


Page 41 - "'I got lost in time. The reports, Mimsey, they were so . . . tragic.' She told her mother some of what she'd read while she pulled her gloves from her fingers."


Natalie's mother means well, but her desire for her daughter to have a "nice" life conflicted with Natalie's awareness of how awful the Indian Code was for the People themselves.


Page 64 - The scene where Eva Lummis shows Natalie around the house, describing the "belongings" that add personality to the rooms. Natalie initially calls them artifacts but Eva explains their significance to the Pueblo people. (I'm too lazy to put the whole passage here!)


I just really liked this scene, especially when they get to Armando's room. The little boy died when he was six and he had a beloved wooden carved horse. Very touching!


Page 75 - "But as the days passed, Natalie's spirits rose, and on the morning walks in the balmy air, she found herself able to enjoy the sights and sounds, feel the warm sun without the constant push to "do" something, "go" somewhere, "fix" herself. She was purpose-less . . . "


That sounds so lovely! Too often, there is such a sense of "Go go go" to life. She fell in love with the Southwest and the pace and peace of life there.


Page 77 - "It's unjust. And being committed by people who claim to be Christians, wanting to win their souls while destroying their spirits. They are not professing the faith that I was taught."


Charles Lummis' anger is in response to white people humiliating and hurting native people. I think part of the reason I didn't love this book is because I recognize the pain and evil that was done to the native people . . . and I'm a hundred-plus years too late to "fix" it. And yes, it is especially hard when people do horrible things in the name of Christianity. Jesus loved and served.


Page 103 - "'But it's the cadence and timing that requires such deep concentration on my part. Their music is so singular.' She drank her warm tea. Ice was like gold in Yuma. 'I've been thinking. When Rome conquered the Greeks, they learned from them. We should be doing the same, learning from the Indians, not trying to silence them.'"

 

There is so much more to this passage! Natalie is talking with her brother George, with whom she spent a great deal of time as she traveled in the West.

 

Page 106 - "'Um, there was no corn, no dance, no drum, no Yuma song. Only Anglo song. The child is shamed and tries to disappear. The others join to comfort her.'" 


I love love love Chiparopai! What an amazing woman, speaking three languages (including English!). When she visits a school with Natalie and the teacher sings Happy Birthday to a little girl, Natalie is the only other person who sings along. But instead of being pleased, the girl hides under a table and cries. Then the other children climb under the table with her and surround her! Compassion and understanding! Chiparopai explains to Natalie what she just observed. My heart!


Page 122 - "'Perseverance,' George said. 'Deciding what really matters and letting the rest go.'"


This is after Natalie comments on how hard a trail ride can be and wonders how people traveling the Oregon and Santa Fe trails could put up with all the dust for months. Her brother hits the nail on the head. Sometimes all a situation needs is the right attitude and perseverance.


Page 157 - "Lololomai didn't spin, gave his full attention to her. She had noticed that about the Hopi and the Yuma and the Navajo. They concentrated when someone spoke to them, perhaps deciphering the language barrier, but maybe because they listened to understand rather than to respond."


I am so bad about this! I need to work on my listening skills and be respectful of other people!


Page 249 - "'So. White people prefer to hear white people,' he said. 

'I don't,' Natalie told him. 'I'd rather hear you talk about your life and the songs and where they came from.' 

'It is a show when we do it for Anglos. At home, when we sing or tell the stories, it is a gift. Our spirits are happy then.' 

'In the book, though, you won't be 'at home.' Your words and music will be spread far and wide.' 

He often kept a grace pause before he spoke. 'So. It is what will be in this new trail we are asked to walk.'"


Hiamovi was such a fantastic person to better help Natalie understand some of the cultural differences further. 


Page 253 - " . . . emphasizing for Natalie the sturdy rope tying past to present."


I like expressions like this - "the sturdy rope tying past to present." Hiamovi is explaining to her how "we" used to do things, although he's talking about his ancestors from much earlier generations. Kirkpatrick is a talented author; I'm sorry this book just didn't connect for me on a heart level.


Page 265 - "But she was doing it to preserve the ancient arts, songs, and dances, not to destroy them by bringing tourists. One didn't always have control over the outcome of pursuing a purpose. The publication and promotion would be a balancing act."


It is easy to look back and have the wisdom of hindsight, but it can indeed be difficult to tell what will result from your efforts.


Page 281 - "'It will be a very fluffy book,' Angel said. Natalie looked confused. 'Fat. We use "fluffy" for fat as a term of what you Anglos call endearment."


Yes! "Fluffy" instead of "fat" needs to catch on!


Page 295 - "It was finished. Natalie didn't feel a whit of satisfaction."


Sigh. Not a surprise. This is where I differ from the character. I love to celebrate successes! Woohoo! She got the book published!



No comments: