Saturday, April 23, 2022

A Study in Scarlet

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Libby audiobook 5 hours

read by David Timson

Published: 1887 (this version 2005)

Genre: murder mystery


Well! I thought for sure I had read this before! I knew it as the "origin" story for Sherlock Holmes and one of only four full-length novels about the detective. (Most Holmes stories are short stories.) But as I listened, I got super confused and realized I had not read this book!


The opening of the story is fun to see how Watson and Holmes end up sharing the residence at 221B Baker Street. It also presents as a fairly traditional murder mystery, with a body in a vacant house, plenty of clues and some great sleuth work. But then we're suddenly in the American West with a man and child dying in the desert before they're rescued by Mormons. What?!?! I had to look it up online (later when not driving) and see that yes indeed, this was the storyline. The flashback is to explain how the murderer came to commit the London murders twenty years later. It all wraps up very well. I would definitely re-read this one. Listening to the story means I invariably miss some of the details. 


Timson's vocal work is wonderful. Oh, and "RACHE" is German for revenge . . .

No comments: