Friday, May 28, 2021

Ghost Boys

by Jewell Parker Rhodes

Scott County Library, hard cover 208 pages

Published: 2018

Genre: Y/A realistic fiction 


This book was good, but not nearly as powerful as Angie Thomas' The Hate U Give.' That said, it's intended for a younger audience. In that regard, it's plenty powerful.


Twelve-year-old Jerome is shot in the back by a white police officer. His ghost tries to make sense of what happened to him and why the officer's twelve-year-old daughter Sarah can see and talk with his ghost self. He also encounters the ghost of Emmett Till and many other "ghost boys." The story is a quick read that touches on many of the issues our society is dealing with today. It also is a touching look at grief.


Page 38 - "Our school gets all kinds of poor. There's a little bit poor, more poor, then poorer than poor. My family's a little bit poor as long as both my parents work. Carlos's family might be worse."


Jerome is a quiet kid, a good kid. He's learned how to best avoid the bullies and get through the day with his head down. When Carlos comes to school, Jerome inadvertently becomes his friend. The interactions between these two boys was my favorite part of the story.


Page 90 - "Being poor is real. Our church has a food pantry, emergency dollars for winter heating. Last year when Ma's appendix broke, when her sick leave was gone, we got bread, peanut butter, and applesauce. Does Pop know Officer Moore gets paid for not working? For killing me? I want to kick something, scream, break down. But what's the use?"


There are no easy answers for racial inequality, poverty, . . . .life and it's challenges. But this really resonated with me. I have more than enough - food, clothing, security, stuff. How am I trying to make a positive difference in this world with all my resources?


Page 135 - "I worry Ma and Pop will get used to trying not to feel. So used to it, one day they won't feel anything anymore. That'd be worse than me dying."


So heart-wrenching to think about the reality of this! Sometimes a response to intense emotional pain and trauma is to numb yourself . . . sometimes with the use of chemicals . . . and this is a reality for some people, regardless of color or social class. It makes me sad.


Page 147 - "I understand now. Everything isn't all about me."


Jerome has been watching and interacting as a ghost, but finally understands his "purpose" a little better after realizing that before him were other boys killed by white people. And there were ghost boys from before Emmett Till was killed. And this is bigger than him. And things need to change.


Page 178 - "In 2015, over one thousand unarmed black people were killed. It's awful."


I know people who will argue this issue and defend the police 100%. I know police work is incredibly hard and dangerous. I know that it's easy to be an arm-chair critic and judge. But the overwhelming evidence indicates that there's a serious problem here. Again, I think Angie Thomas' book is more dramatic in pointing these issues out, but I love that this book is available for a younger audience.


No comments: