Monday, March 08, 2021

Something Worth Doing

by Jane Kirkpatrick

Carver County Library paperback 299 plus author notes

Published:2020

Genre: Christian historical fiction

 

We already discussed this book at book club a week ago. I was on chapter four. I've struggled with reading this one and I'm not entirely sure why. I'm relieved to be done with it finally and yet there are a LOT of post-it notes sticking out. 

 

Kirkpatrick's books are usually both informative and entertaining, but the story of Abigail Scott Duniway and her suffragist work in Oregon didn't capture my attention. I think my favorite part was the "Author's Notes" at the end; I'm always impressed by the quality and quantity of her research. The fictional book hews closely to the recorded history!

 

Since I want to finish this blog entry and get the book back to the library, I'm going to try to be brief.

  • "But then, we all make mistakes. Can't let the count of them hammer too long and hard at your chest, or it'll break your heart. Won't go far with a broken heart. You'll have to find a way to mend it or be miserable for life." (pg. 36 Ben to Abigail. Wise words.)
  • "She begged for forgiveness, and why shouldn't she have it? Wasn't that what Christian compassion was all about, making space for healing from the hardness of life?" (pg. 41 Abigail's stepmother . . . yes. Forgiveness should be a key part of Christians' lives. Yet too often it's not.)
  • Pg. 51 writing the limerick . . . something to rhyme with wife and strife . . . really? LIFE! Then on the next page, that's what she chooses. . . 
  • "They turned together toward a crying Willis, lying in his cradle. 'I'll leave it to you to change the world. I'll just change his diaper.'" (pg. 66 Ben talking to Abigail. He really is portrayed as an extraordinary man, loving the simple things of life and supporting Abigail's passions.)
  • "In the same way that she brushed by little joys that she didn't think she deserved, she tamped down sadness by getting to work." (pg. 108 Abigail was such a mixed bag of almost negative determination and hopeful optimism. She bugged me.)
  • "Without Ben to put the nasty reply letters into perspective, she dwelt overmuch on negativity rather than on hope. One needed others to nurture optimism, or at least she was finding that she did." (pg. 111 Yup. But if you only rely on others for your own attitude, you're in trouble.)
  •  "Abigail continued her teaching, but she knew it wasn't enough. Contentedness wasn't a part of who she was, she decided." (pg. 133 Again, yup. She strove. A lot.)
  • "I wish I knew for certain this was the best path to take. And I so wish we had a map to get us there." "There's little certainty in the world, Jenny. Except attitude and effort." (pg. 137 Abigail / Jenny and Ben. I love Ben! Yes on attitude and effort!)
  • "Relationships were so unpredictable, and she longed for certainty - certainty she could control." (pg. 153 Abigail considering a business partner. She has serious control issues for sure!)
  • "There must be a few men who share our hopes. Ben does. I'm so grateful for that." (pg. 160 Abigail talking to her friend Shirley. She seems to need continual reminders to appreciate her own husband. . . )
  • "Trying to be diplomatic is not my forte, as you well know. It takes more energy to hold my tongue than to live with a little business uncertainty." (pg. 164 Abigail talking to Ben about getting rid of her business partner . . . At least she realized her own shortcomings.)
  • The part on Sarah Wallis . . . was familiar. I wonder if she's featured in a different Kirkpatrick book. Pg. 184
  • "The offer brought a surprising calm." (pg. 188 When Shirley offers to pray for Abigail before she gives a speech. Love Shirley!)
  • "She loved the feel of the paper . . . it all appealed to her." (pg. 197 When Abigail gets her printing press and starts The New Northwest. Kirkpatrick's writing shines with the joy of someone in their element!)
  • "'Give, and it shall be given unto you,' as Scripture says." (pg. 207 I love that Susan B. Anthony was charitable and familiar with Scripture. Her life story is one I am interested in learning more about.)
  • Abigail's speech on page 210 where she talks about God's creation and her husband's support as a reflector of God's light . . . I like this part. If it's true that people were heckling her and throwing eggs when she talked them into listening, then it's even better!
  • "She'd given her life for this cause, and she wasn't ready to let younger, ill-informed women threaten the campaign." (pg. 218 This scene was troubling when she shot down other women's suggestions. She's denying them their voice and opinion when that's theoretically what she's fighting for . . . Her singlemindedness was extreme and her way or the highway!)
  • Her reaction to Clara Belle's marriage . . . was a bit hard to swallow. Your firstborn. Your only daughter. Your only grandchild. You're too busy and mad about her eloping to even go and visit her? Get a clue! (pg. 236)
  • "'You'll always be a reformer. I just wish for your sake you'd take more time for being a grandmother and a wife. I get wistful sometimes, seeing you leave Ben as you go off. Makes me miss John so much.' Kate cleared her throat. 'And I'm sad for you that you're passing up moments you'll never have again, experiences I so wish I still could have.'" (pg. 237 Abigail's younger sister Kate, wiser by a long shot!)
  • The whole scene on page 273 with Clara Belle and Don. Ugh. Ben is my hero!
  • "Her second youngest son was sixteen already. He had a beard. How had her boys grown up without her noticing?" (pg. 279 Because she was gone all the time and cared more about her cause than her family!)
  • The discussion on page 281 about moving and the definition of the word "powerful." Of COURSE she gave her definition first before letting her students define it. And of COURSE her definition is "one can set a goal and then figure out how to make it happen." But I really love the fictional student who defines it as "when you want to quit but you keep going."
  • "Outwardly, Abigail brushed away the compliment, but she took it inside, let it fill her up." (pg. 285 Ugh. She really did seem to need attention and appreciation a lot. Not my favorite character trait!)
  • "As she thought of her ever-hopeful and adventurous life, a shiver ran up her spine." (pg. 288 It surprised me that Kirkpatrick would write that. I suppose to keep working on something for over forty years does show a sort of hopefulness . . . but that it not how I would define Abigail.)
  • Page 293 when Shirley and Kate talk about how much Abigail means to them and others . . . this made her seem more lovable somehow, but her stridency and prickliness had already left their mark for me.
  • "A fierce love for justice and liberty for all of us. That's your legacy." (pg. 295 Kate to Abigail. I love thinking about legacy and what mine will be . . . I'm honestly not sure.)
  • "The world is moving and women are moving with it." (pg. 299 and *often* throughout the book. That was Abigail's catch phrase. Sometimes I had to think of how much it would have chafed me to live when I could not vote, could not own property, did not have rights in cases of divorce or dispute . . . there's so much I take for granted that women like Abigail Scott Duniway fought for to make sure that other women would benefit.)

No comments: