Saturday, August 22, 2020

Sensible Shoes: A Story About the Spiritual Journey

by Sharon Garlough Brown

Deb T's paperback 343 pages

genre: Christian fiction

Published: 2013


I read this a few weeks ago up at the lake and *loved* it! It was so engaging that I read it in just a few sittings. Four different women are introduced and followed through this story. From the back flap:

Hannah, a pastor who doesn't realize how exhausted she is.

Meg, a widow and recent empty-nester who is haunted by her past.

Mara, a woman who has bounced from relationship to relationship, trying to navigate a difficult marriage.

Charissa, a hard-working graduate student who wants to get things right.

 

None of these women was "me" but all of them had attributes or attitudes I could really relate to. I cared about them and thought about how all of us have our own story, struggles, perceptions, etc. I cried more than once while reading!

 

Page 81 - "'Sailing isn't efficient. That's why I use it for my own spiritual growth and discipline.' He paused. 'For a Type A personality like me, it's hard not to be in control. I much prefer setting a course and getting there without detours or distractions - motoring through life, if you like. So sailing has been good training for me to learn how to be patient, to wait for the wind, and to discern how to set the sails to maximize the wind's power. Even though I have absolutely no control over the wind, I can respond to it if I'm paying attention.'"

 

I think I loved this as much because Louie loves to go sailing as I did because the spiritual parallel is great. I definitely need to pay more attention to the Holy Spirit and stop trying to be in control!

 

Page 91 - "Dawn replied, 'Jesus also said, "You did not choose me, but I chose you." Jesus has chosen you, Mara. You weren't just the leftover God had to take, simply because you were standing there. God didn't choose you out of pity. Jesus really has chosen you to be with him because he loves you and wants to be with you.' Mara's eyes filled with tears, and she looked away. 'The moment you truly believe that,' Dawn said quietly, 'is the moment everything shifts for you.'" 

So many people feel unworthy. And we all are unworthy of God's love, but He loves us anyway! That's what's so amazing about His grace, mercy, and love. It's heartbreaking that so many people just feel sad, bad, and unloved.

 

Page 137 - "'I'm not standing in judgment over you,' he continued. 'I'm not criticizing or condemning you. I only see your struggles because I have the same ones. It's hard for a good rule follower to be converted to grace. There are so many defenses we perfectionists hide behind, especially the impulse to trust our own efforts to live rightly and faithfully. Believe me. I know what it's like to try to add to Christ's work of salvation by striving to be perfect. But God doesn't need you to be good, Charissa. It's not your goodness that saves you. Or your performance. It's grace. All grace. And God wants to soften your heart and open your eyes so that you see how desperately you need that grace.'"

 

Dr. Allen was one of my absolute favorite characters. I wish more teachers, counselors, and pastors had this kind of wisdom and advice!

 

Page 219 - "'I've learned over the past few years how important the body of Christ is. Sounds dumb for a former pastor to say I've only just learned that, but it's true. We can't be lone rangers. You need to be fed, Hannah - not just in the sacred journey group or in your private devotions. You need other believers around you, woshiping with you and encouraging you. The very thing you've been avoiding is exactly what you need. Even if it's a struggle - even if it makes you feel lost and uncomfortable.'" 

 

Dr. Allen again, as Hannah's old friend Nate . . . reconnecting after many years.

 

The other seven post-it notes I stuck in this book mark the different stages of the "Sacred Journey" retreat / workshop these women took. I love how the author brought them together and brought out their unique stories. This book would be a great book club title or even a re-read at some point.

 

Session One: A Path for Prayer (pg. 55) - walking and praying a labyrinth, taking time for prayer, reflection, and listening for God's direction

 

Session Two: Praying with the Word (pg. 102) - Lectio divina (sacred reading) - slow, prayerful digesting of God's Word

 

Session Three: Praying the Examen (pg. 178) - review your day prayerfully, striving to see where God was in each situation, use great list of questions

 

Session Four: Wilderness Prayer (pg. 225) - Read from Genesis 16:7-10 slowly and out loud. Where have you come from? Where are you going?

 

Session Four (2 that day): Praying with Imagination (pg. 242) - Read one of the stories from the gospels and take time to picture it, smell it, hear it. How does it make you feel? Start with Mark 10:46-52

 

Session Five: Self-Examination and Confession (pg. 291) - Read Genesis 3:1-9 slowly and prayerfully. Answer the five questions.

 

Session Six: Rule of Life (pg. 321) - draw nearer to God. Give Him your all.

 

I've grossly simplified these sessions, but that's the gist. I thought about scanning them and including them here, but it's worth re-reading the book. These sessions were only a part of what helped these women to come to a better understanding of God's love for them and how their lives could change for the better with Him.


No comments: