Sunday, May 17, 2020

One More River to Cross

by Jane Kirkpatrick
Scott County Library paperback 330 pages, plus author's notes
genre: Christian historical fiction

Kirkpatrick does an amazing job of researching an historical event and writing a fascinating story around its players. In this one, a group of California-bound pioneers try crossing the Sierra Nevada and encounter difficulties galore. This group made the attempt the year before the doomed Donner Party. (In fact, some of the Donners used a cabin built by the Stephens-Murphy-Townsend company.)

I hadn't read the book before book club, so didn't have much to add to the conversation. Below are the plethora of pages I tagged with some thoughts and observations. Overall, this was a very engaging read. There are a LOT of different characters. Right when I started it and saw the listing of names, relationships, etc. I realized it would be a challenge to keep everyone straight. She did an excellent job of differentiating, but I generally prefer stories where I identify strongly with characters and don't have to work as hard to remember who's who! The text below may contain *SPOILERS* and / or be boring to those who've not read the book. :-)


Flyleaf - She has this quote from Mary Anne Radmacher: "Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice that at the end of the day says 'I'll try again tomorrow.'"I love this!

Page 35 - "It was at the evening camp and Capt took out his journal from his saddlebages. He always reread what he'd written." This isn't especially profound, but I am a huge fan of journaling! I don't write as often as I used to, but it is wonderful to read the thoughts and feelings one experienced in a different point in life. Some of the most amazing "stories" throughout history have been recorded by someone and now we can appreciate them. This made me wonder if we would get to read some of Capt's journal later in the story.

Page 49 - "'I'm the mother of five. Fun isn't necessarily in my basket of essentials.'" - This reply by Ailbe to the comment that "She needs a little fun" made me laugh! Mothers can be so very down-to-earth.

Page 63 - "We should have joined them. She shook her head. What's done is done. Sometimes she thought of her life as a thin, scratchy book held between the bookends of fear and regret and fear. She needed to rewrite that book, make it sturdier. And find new bookends for sure." Mary Sullivan is a strong and determined young woman. The language in this description of her life (or her perception of her life) doesn't match with how I imagined her, but I liked it just the same.

Page 79 - "She hated it that he only seemed to pay attention to what she was feeling when she lost control and cried. Crying made her weak in his eyes so he could 'lift her up' rather than speak to her as another adult to come to some grown-up resolution." Sarah did get on my nerves at times, but her newlywed husband Allen was a total jerk.

Page 89 - "'Something haunts your brother,' Beth said. 'He carries anger, swallows it, licks his lips without knowing he is eating himself. He is in need of laughter. He doesn't know what wealth lies within it. Be patient with him.'" Beth is one of the most lovely and loving characters. The relationship between Ellen and her brother Daniel is one that develops throughout the story. I appreciate it!

Page 92 -"She nodded, acceptance settling like a threadbare cloak over her shoulders: it offered comfort but without the warmth. The real treasure was this moment when she felt loved and cared for more than she had since the day they'd married. She guessed it would be her anniversary gift." I really liked that first sentence. Again, Allen is not a very impressive husband. Poor Sarah!

Page 98 - I love when Mary grabs the ox and just goes! Capt wants her brother John to lead, but she's ready to GO. I can relate. I see a lot of myself in Mary.

Page 116 - When the women are sharing their stories, Mary has a new perspective. "Maybe carrying on despite grief was a hidden gift." Sometimes our perception of "gifts" misses some things out of the ordinary.

Page 139 - "It was the least she could do to honor the being that gave them nourishment." This made me think of Mari's mom Rita and her prayers over meals.

Page 140 - "Don't tell me what I've done or not correctly." This made me laugh! Husbands should handle pregnant wives with kid gloves! I was as contrary as can be when I was pregnant.

Page 165 - "He'd gotten crankier on this journey, while Mr. Hitchcock - in his late sixties - had gotten more jovial. Maybe it didn't matter how many years you had but how well you carried them." Such truth in this! When my dad was so negative and complained about everything, I made myself think about the choices I was making in terms of my attitude and communication. I want to carry my years well . . .

Page 172 - "If not, I trust God is with us whatever choice we make. . . . . Truth is, I'd rather be happy than right." I love Ailbe! She has a good attitude and recognizes that God is in control.

Page 181 - When Ellen talks to Daniel about how the fire in the mercantile got started, I was a bit taken aback . . . She saw cowardice in herself; I see complicity.

Page 192-3 - I love how Daniel and Ellen come to understand one another better and develop a much stronger and healthier brother / sister relationship. This was one of my favorite aspects of the story. The "Horseback Party" was a smaller group and had a more engaging storyline.

Page 205 - When Capt sweet talks Dr. Townsend into pushing on . . . pure genius. It does highlight Townsend's ego,t hough.

Page 218 - "Land is free in Oregon. We just take it from the Indians." Ugh. It's a fictionalized version of a real person saying this (Allen talking to his wife Sarah.) . . . but knowing that it represents some people's true opinions AND actions historically . . . just makes me mad / sad.

Page 220 - "We're having to remake ourselves." Sarah says this to Mary as they talk about taking apart a wool sweater to re-knit it and how it's like they are remaking themselves due to the hardships they're experiencing. It's wonderful that we can transform and don't have to get into a rut.

Page 241 - "It must be made American, taken for Americans, held by Americans." Sutter is trying to convince the men to ride to war instead of going back to rescue the rest of their party. Historically, there were battles to "hold" the West . . . but this reminded me of current-day "America First" rhetoric. I prefer to look at humanity more globally.

Page 260 - "Guess when you find success in something, all the pain getting there gets washed away." This is often true. Hardship mellows (if not goes away completely) when you've achieved your goal.

Page 290 - "Com once meant 'the exchange of burdens.' And union means 'together.' I guess when we are joined together in a gathering, we share our troubles. Or should." I love that definition for communion! And Sarah and Mary also talk about it in terms of marriage. The exchange of burdens together.

Page 296 - "Why was it that the food of goodness was often seasoned with guilt?" It's an interesting metaphor. I like words that make me think.

Page 332 - In the author's notes, she included this line that surprised me. "The decision by the men to become conscripted before sending rescue continues to baffle historians and others, including me. I'm hopeful that my explanation rings true." It was one of those odd moments while reading the book - why on earth would the men be persuaded to ride to war instead of rescuing their wives and children??? But as an author, she was being true to the history! That's what they did.

Page 337 - Also author notes - "A room in the Sunnyvale Heritage Park Museum in Sunnyvale, California, is devoted to the Murphy family." Cool! I need to visit museums more. I love this stuff!

Page 339 - "Their feats are overshadowed by the Donner Party disaster. It's my hope that this story might celebrate the honor of self-sacrifice, the wisdom of working together, and the power of persevering through community and faith." This is one of the big reasons I appreciate Jean Kirkpatrick. I've heard of the Donner party and their cannibalism. I'd never before heard of this group that made the same trip successfully the year before them.



No comments: