Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Orbiting Jupiter

by Gary D. Schmidt
Hennepin County Library audiobook 3 CDs
read by Christopher Gebauer
genre: YA realistic fiction

Once again, Schmidt's amazing storytelling skill is on powerful display. This is the first of his books that hasn't been historical fiction! (Of those I've read. Though the mention of Coach Swieteck made me think of Okay For Now . . . ) Louie and I listened to this one together when we had a lot of driving to do.

Jack and his parents have taken in a 14-year-old foster child named Joseph. He got a 13-year-old pregnant when he was also 13 and he kept trying to see her, even after her parents got an injunction against him. This info comes later in the story, though.

The characters range from compassionate to cruel. Joseph's voice is at times silent and at other times, overpowering. The relationship between sixth grader Jack and eighth grader Joseph develops slowly and in classic guy terms. Jupiter is the baby girl that Joseph wants to see and take care of. He wants to be the loving father he himself does not have.

I cried. I'm listening to it over again. I think I'll get some other Schmidt stories on audio for our next road trip. I'd love to share the ones I've loved with Louie.

No comments: