Sunday, November 25, 2018

Pennyroyal Academy

by M.A. Larson
T. Helgerson's personal signed copy, hardcover 312 pages
genre: YA fantasy

I read this so I can share with a friend how to best recommend it to her sixth graders. Quite frankly, it's not an especially well-written book. (I have found that screenwriters are not necessarily good novelists . . . ) It was entertaining enough, but it may languish on the shelf. I also question whether there will be a book two, though the storytelling in this volume sets it up easily.

An unnamed girl is wandering through a haunted woods. Who she really is becomes the main source of conflict as she is "rescued" by a knight in training (Remington) and heads to Pennyroyal Academy to try to train as a princess. Princesses are expected to have courage, compassion, kindness, and discipline so that they can defeat the evil witches. Not much of the book is about what the knights in training are supposed to embody or learn. Princesses defeat witches and knights fight dragons.

The book had enough twists and turns to keep things interesting. It's a pretty quick read. I'll have fun sharing ideas with my colleague.

One thing I want to note here:
I love words! I have a fairly large vocabulary (but still can get kicked in the can at Scrabble and Words with Friends). This book, which is pretty much geared to sixth graders, had words I'd never seen before! It wasn't a problem, since the context clues were enough for me to know what the words meant without having to look them up. Still, it was a surprising choice and I'm not sure what the author's intent was . . .

I finally made a note for it on page 245 when he used the word "jennet" and even though I could tell it was a horse (or another creature that has hooves that one rides) I wondered why he picked that word. Now that I'm blogging about it, I have to actually find the definition. According to Dictionary.com, a jennet is "noun 1 a female donkey 2 a small Spanish horse."And on page 247, "berfrois" was obviously a building or structure that is part of the castle. But it is such a weird experience for me to come across words I've never heard of . . . and in a children's book, it almost never happens!

Besides the new vocab (kind of fun, actually), I don't think this guys hangs out with twelve-year-olds very much. When they're putting out a fire, they use "water butts." I am familiar with the term and understand its use in the context. But how many kids will read that and either have a giggle fit or just go "What?!?!" Anyhow, if he does write a book two, I can safely skip it.

No comments: