Monday, February 26, 2018

The Sound of Rain

by Sarah Loudin Thomas
Hennepin County Library paperback 326 pages
genre: Christian historical fiction

Judd Markley, coal miner, and Larkin Heyward, daughter of a lumber baron, are clearly destined to be together. They are lovely characters in a pleasant book. I liked it, yet wasn't deeply moved by it and found it quite predictable.

Page 61 - I liked the character of Lill and thought her perspective added a lot to Larkin. Dying of cancer, she commented, "Seems like I was always rushing after something and now I can't think what it was." Ugh! I've spent too much of my life rushing around after nothing important.

Page 114 - "He remembered a time when he was nine or ten years old. Dad had taken the whole family to a tent revival and even now he could remember that young preacher. Tall and thin as a rail, he'd towered over the makeshift pulpit. He'd leaned into the crowd, talking about eternal life and . . . how had he put it, 'the quickening of the Holy Spirit'? Judd had heard plenty of hellfire and brimstone, but that was the first - and maybe the only - time he'd heard that God loved him and wanted to lead him through life. Judd remembered wanting that, too." Then his dad's insistence that he sit down and wait until he was older . . . quashed his conviction. So sad. I hope I haven't discouraged anyone in their faith!

Page 176 - Ben's comment - "Improving people's lives. Giving them a raft to hold on to when they're adrift in a sea of pain." The language here just really struck me. (This was in answer to Judd's question, "What do you see as success?")

Page 205 - I love when Larkin realizes how wonderful indoor plumbing is! I feel that way when we leave the Boundary Waters! Flushing toilets, hot water to wash your hands, showers! What incredible blessings!

Page 206 - "Larkin hadn't paid much attention in the past, but Granny had told her how she always put a candle in her window on Christmas Eve to welcome Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus. Larkin laughed, because of course they weren't really coming, but Granny had stilled her with a touch and said, 'Oh, but they are coming.' She tapped her chest. 'And there's always room in my heart.'" I love the grannies in this story!

Page 229 - I like Ben's observation that Larkin's sunny attitude was very helpful to the poor of Kentucky who were independent and didn't "need" her there. "There are a dozen sad stories I know of and probably twice that many I don't. Just having you around for a distraction helps more than you realize."

Page 247 - Title reference! "Larkin's laughter was like the sound of rain on a tin roof at the end of a long, hot day. Judd felt soothed, comforted . . . alive."

Page 322 - It was almost corny how this all worked out. Predictable, yet . . . I enjoyed the story.

Page 325 - For a minute, I thought the author was throwing a major curveball! Nope.

Still, it was an enjoyable book set in 1954. From West Virginia and the coal mines to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, it was a nice story.


No comments: