Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Brutal Telling

by Louise Penny
Hennepin County Library audiobook 11 discs
read by Ralph Cosham
genre: murder mystery

This one was medium-good . . . but I already knew parts of it because of having read the titles out of order. And at times, the mystery seemed overdramatized. I'm not sure if it's the reader's inflection or Penny's writing. Perhaps I need to take a break from the Inspector Gamache stories for a bit.

Hermit in cabin, storytelling, Olivier (38 years old) listening . . . army / chaos / fury / fear.

(Who buys horses not knowing how to take care of them?!?! Stupid.)

I learned a new word! "Abattoir" means slaughterhouse.

Patrick and Michelle are the real names of Old and The Wife. Mundens . . .

WOO not WOE . . . but I know where this will go two books further in the series. Shouldn't read these out of order!

Father and son theme - Vincent and Mark, Old and Charlie, Olivier's dad and Olivier, Gamache is like a dad to Beauvoir.

Spider web - not.

Story of boy and mountain, and villagers fleeing, the carvings . . .

OWSVI (on the boat carving) and MRKBVYDDO (people on shore). I wanted to figure this out! But I didn't, so I'm glad Gamache finally did.

Charlotte / The Brutal Telling - artist (and her father) Emily Carr.

Betrayal, treasure, lots of thematic repetition. I enjoyed it, but wish I'd read the books in sequence.

No comments: