Sunday, January 22, 2017

More: How to Move from Activity for God to Intimacy with God

by Greg Hawkins
Hennepin County Library hardcover 203 pages
genre: Christian living

This was recommended by a colleague. Overall, I wasn't as inspired as I was by Francis Chan's Crazy Love. I marked a lot of pages, though, so clearly I made some connections!

Page 45 - The study that his church commissioned found four groups of Christians. Group Four were the "more" group. "People in this group love God with their whole heart and love others as themselves. They have found a life of purpose, a life of loving others, a life of inner contentment and peace. We want these things. We crave that kind of life, especially when we learn that it's not about doing more things." So true! I want to BE one of "those" Christians . . .

Page 51 - "We were made for an intimacy we cannot even imagine, one in which we feel loved and safe and joyful in ways we've never experienced in this life."

Page 85 - "When we worry, we are telling God, 'I don't trust You. I don't think You can help. . . '" This theme has come up in my readings before, but it's always a good reminder! I have gotten better about trusting God, but I'm surprised I still struggle with this at all!

Page 99 - "Rather than thinking I've got to . . . begin to think, We're going to . . . you and God. Think of doing your day, moment by moment, with God." This is an interesting shift. I'm not sure I can do it! But I think it's an exercise I should try.

Page 127 - "I really prefer the idea of the Bible as 'food' or nutrition that is essential to having an intimate relationship with God. Eating isn't a habit; it's absolutely necessary to live. A habit is something you can break or give up. You simply cannot live without food, and that's how you should approach the Bible: I need this to survive. Without it I will die."

Page 140 - Sometimes, this author's words bugged me rather than inspired me. I don't feel like noting all of them, but this one jumped off the page at me! "At the end of the day, the only thing that will last is people. The only thing that is truly immortal is the human soul." What?! People *don't* last - that's why there's so much crying at funerals. And the "only thing" that is truly immortal is God Himself! If you're trying to make the point that people are important and we should pay attention to them, find a different way to express that!

Page 144 - I'm not sure why I marked this part on small groups . . . maybe I was thinking of the value of book club and the conversations we have about life and following Jesus.

Page 179 - "Push kills your life. I push so that things happen at the pace I want them to happen, not at the pace that God would like them to happen. And God has a pace in mind for things, which will bless me." This really resonates. I hate the go-go-go of modern life. I hate the push, and want God's MORE.

No comments: