Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Saffire

by Sigmund Brouwer
Hennepin County Library paperback 316 pages
genre: Christian historical fiction

Although I didn't like this quite as well as Brouwer's Thief of Glory, the story of the Panama Canal and political intrigue kept my attention. James Holt is an interesting character who was in Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show and has Teddy Roosevelt as a friend.

Page 34 - this was funny to read as the Clinton / Trump election mess is in the news constantly. "After all, if one takes delight in observing vitriol, blatant lies, character assassination, cronyism, and corruption, then American presidential elections provide first-class entertainment - happily repeated by newspapers of all stripes." (In reference to the early 1900s, of course!)

I put a marker in page 78/79, but I'm not sure why. I really *must* get the post-it note bookmarks! It might have been the racial differences - very Jim Crow-like. Or it may have been people's response to the music in the plaza. Or . . . I really do like his writing style.

page 95 - I love when James Holt leaves his parting shot about feminism purposely to yank Amador's chain. "Waldschmidt made a sound like he was coughing on a hairball. Amador turned a stony expression toward the far wall. And Raquel gave me a warm smile with those perfectly curving lips. All told, three perfect reactions."

page 152/153 - when he shares how his dad taught him to stand up to his fears (the dogs attacking), it made me sad. Louie and I did some "tough love" parenting, but nothing like that!

page 207 - When he is talking about the technological wonders of the turn of the century - telephones, ten story buildings, Kitty Hawk, Model T, etc. . . . "And in this time of wonder, nothing was more wondrous than what was unfolding around me - the connecting of the oceans, proof that there was not much left for humans to achieve." I love that historical perspective!

page 258 - With the dying Gerald Dawson's confession, Holt is closing in on the truth! I liked the mystery element of the story a lot, even though I didn't connect all the dots very well.

Again, liked but didn't love this one. Would have enjoyed the discussion at book club, but we were in Maui!

No comments: