Monday, June 20, 2016

Secrets She Kept



by Cathy Gohlke
Hennepin County library, paperback 391 pages
Genre: Christian historical fiction

·         This was a different kind of WWII / Holocaust book! Protagonist Lieselotte’s father is a war criminal and her brother is a hard-line Nazi Youth, but Lieselotte works with friends to save Jewish people. The “modern” (1972) protagonist Hannah Sterling is coming unglued after her mother Lieselotte’s death. Why was she so cold and distant? What in her life made her so unloving toward Hannah and her dad? My overall reaction: gripping story, very realistic. I look forward to discussing it at book club tonight.

Page 3 – Hannah’s boss “Everybody needs time when they lose a parent.” / Hannah’s thought “How could I lose a parent I never had?" “We weren’t close.” How many times did I have to explain that? This resonated for me, but I won’t bring it up at book club. I don’t think the others understand my lack of emotional connection toward my dad. They all really like their dads! I truly feel more relief than sorrow over my dad’s death.

Page 84 – “I wanted the assurance that enveloped Frau Kirchmann, that radiated peach in her soul and through her eyes, her smile. But I knew that came from her relationship with Jesus, and I was still uncertain about giving my life to Him.” I want to be like Frau Kirchmann!!! Seriously, I love when people are so filled with Jesus' love that it overflows and people notice it. I want to glorify God in my life!





Page 105 – “ . . . I wanted to believe in God, the author of love and mercy. I bowed my head when the pastor prayed . . . even though I prayed then too, I believed nothing and no one. I trusted no one.” So very sad! How many people have the outward appearance of faith but not the peace in their souls?

 Page 279 – when Carl is helping Hannah returned some of the confiscated items to Jewish descendants – “I just don’t understand why she would still be afraid, or why you came so unglued.” “That is right, Hannah. You do not understand. And what you do not understand can be frightening, even dangerous for others. Let me think.” Americans and seeing things through our own lens . . . not understanding the depths of pain and fear (and subtexts) of Germans who lived through WWII.

Page 300 – Frau Kirchmann praying in the camp . . . her witness to Lieselotte and others. Love this.

Page 337 – When Lieselotte is confiding in Corrie tenBoom (cool inclusion in the story, btw) . . . she responds “Don’t hate, my child. That’s a prison worse than Ravensbruck.” So powerfully true!

Page 359 – Lieselotte thinks “If I could be the mother to my baby that Mutter Kirchmann was to me, life might come full circle.” At this point, I was thinking, “Why didn’t she? Why did her own daughter grow up thinking her mother didn’t love her and was incapable of love?” I’m not really satisfied with how the author “answered” this question in the last forty pages of the book.

Page 386 – When Hannah meets with Corrie tenBoom to try to resolve the mystery of her mother’s life, Corrie says “This is proof that Jesus does not expect us to forgive in our own strength – that the hurts in this world are not healed by us, not forgiven by us, but by His great love. Jesus said to love our enemies . . . and with that command He gives us the love to do it.” It's kind of out of context here, but forgiveness and the power of God's love shine through.

Hannah’s prayer and peace at the end are a good resolution. The apple struedel was a nice touch.

No comments: