Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Kazumi Magica 1: The Innocent Malice

by Masaki Hiramatsu
art by Takashi Tensugi
Hennepin County Library paperback 144 pages
genre: YA manga, adventure, magic

I got this based on a student's recommendation. I hated it. I asked the student what it was that she liked about it. "The adventure, trying to help people."

It is geared to a middle-school audience (based on the main characters, who are far more physically developed than most middle school girls but identify as middle school). Three girls can do magic and turn into super-fighters with special powers. The story opens with a girl in a suitcase, naked. Yeah.

The story develops that a female police detective was trying to increase her rank and esteem, so she planted a bomb, kidnapped Kazumi, removed her clothing (it's never clear why), put her in the suitcase, and set up an elaborate switched-suitcase scheme.

I don't like manga in general - the art, the exaggerated facial expressions, the back-to-front reading. The reason I buy as much of it for my collection as I do is that it is popular and some readers absolutely devour the books! I don't think I have money for this title. I'd be more likely to buy the Black Butler series (requested a few years ago).

Sixth grader (Class of 2022) was S.I.M.

No comments: