Sunday, September 07, 2014

Scat

by Carl Hiaasen
Hennepin County Library, audiobook 8 discs
read by Ed Asner
genre: YA realistic fiction, humor

At first I was excited that Asner was the reader . . . then I decided that while I enjoy his acting, I don't think he's a wonderful reader. The women sounded terrible and much of the text was flat. Oh well.

It's another fun environmental story set in Florida. The kids (Nick, Marta, and Smoke) are delightful! The educators are all horrid - what an embarrassment to the profession! When cruel Mrs. Starch takes the grade level to the Black Vine Swamp for a science field trip, a fire sends them leaving early. Only Mrs. Starch is missing. Mystery ensues.

At least now I've read it and can booktalk it better to kids.

(Above written 9/7/14. Below written 5/8/17.)

I got this because Louie and I had enjoyed Chomp so much (and I didn't immediately remember that I had already "read" it. Again, we did NOT like Asner's vocal work. Here's my ordering of Hiiasen's YA books from favorite to least (yes, I know there are others I've not yet read):

Chomp
Flush
Hoot
Scat

No comments: