Friday, June 20, 2014

Potato: the Propitious Esculent

by John Reader
Hennepin County Library hardcover 278 pages
genre: non-fiction

Sadly, I ran out of time to finish this book. I'm only on page 98. But I've renewed it the maximum number of times and I need to move on. I first found out about this book two and a half years ago. My advisory kids wanted to do a potato-themed basket for the school's silent auction. We looked for everything potato-related and this title caught my attention. The gifted kids loved their brainiac status and "the propitious esculent" challenged their minds. I finally (three-ish months ago) requested it from the library just out of curiosity. It's actually a fascinating book! Part one focuses on South America, where potatoes were first cultivated. This book has history, archaeology, sociology, and more. I was fascinated! (And horrified by Pizarro and the pillaging of wealth by the Spaniards.)

Part two is on Europe and the level of the author's research is impressive! I am really enjoying this book. Part three is the World . . . and now I'm thinking of re-requesting it to finish later in the summer. Sigh. I have a LOT of books on my reading list right now. I think I need to just let it go.

No comments: